Passenger door doesn't align with quarter panel!

-

StimsonGarage

Reaction score
The door opens and closes ok, I have taken the door on and off trying to align it with no avail. There is like a half inch drop from where the top of the passenger door should align with the quarter. I can take some pics tomorrow. What do you guys think, door hinges? And no the car has never been in an accident.

Open the door and lift the back end of it. If the door goes up but the car doesn't move, the hinges need some attention. If you don't have any play when lifting the door, you need to adjust the door and striker. I often adjust a door with the striker out if it's way off.

The bolts that hold hinges to the body allow you to adjust the door up and down, and front to back. They are accessed from behind the kick panels. The bolts that hold the hinges to the door allow you to adjust the front of the door in and out. You can get to them by removing the rear splash shield from under the front fender. The strike on the door jamb allows you to adjust the back of the door in and out.

Ditto what was said above. If the hinges are badly worn, fix that first. If you have access to a parts car, the passenger hinges are often in much better shape than the driver's hinges. Also, you want the door to line up with the rear quarter panel just based on the hinges. Therefore, adjusting the hinges without the strike is a good idea.

I've had good luck adjusting just one hinge at a time. If you loosen them both, the door tends to move too much and you have to start over. By loosening just one at a time, its easier to make small adjustments.

One more thing. I think there are some vintage Chrysler dealer educational videos on You Tube that explain door alignment.

Good Luck.

chech the hinge pins for the door. if they are sloppy then replace them. then the door can be adjsted by loosening the hinges and raise or lower the door in the area that need it. before you start check all the gaps on the door in conjunction to the body. that should tell you where you need to move the door to align it. it doesnt hurt to take photo's before you start

Door hinges is the most likely cause. There is a way to replace hinge bushings and pins without loosening 1 bolt. Afterwards the door will sit pretty much right back in its original position alignment.

Thanks guys almost positive its the hinge pins. Is there any easy way going about replacing them or should i just snag a complete hinge from a junkyard.

It depends on how badly the pin holes in the hinges are worn. If they are worn badly, pins and bushings will not correct it. Only new or reman hinges will.

There was a member here that rebuilt hinges at one time. I cannot remember who it was.

-
Back