patch sheet metal

-

ThogtheCaveman

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Ok, so I went to a metal place near my house to buy some sheet metal that I can make small patch panels from, and I was quite surprised at the price! The smallest piece I could buy was 4 feet x 4 feet, more than I need, but that is ok. I asked for 1/16 inch thickness, and I was quite surprised to find it was going to cost me $48 :cussing: Is that typical price for metal? Also, is 1/16 to thick? Should I try for something smaller? Thanks.

that gage is a little stiff, try 18 or 20 gage. if you are after small or even big go to auto salvage yard look for a vehicle with a spance of sheet metal sometime you can find a hood,deck lid,door that has damage that you can get for little or nothing,clean the edges go to work. good luck

Most outer metal on cars is in the vicinity of .030 thick. Don't know what guage that is. Try your local hardware or Home Depot/Lowe's. $48 for a 4x4 piece sounds exhorbitant.

don

Thanks for the replys guys! I guess 1/16 is too thick! I will try lowe's or home depot then, if they don't have anything I guess I will try a junkyard!

That is quite a bit for 1/16, if it is a good metal dealer ask for body metal, they should have it as 1/16 is too thick and will be harder to work with. Especially if welding to thinner metal. I paid $100 canadian for a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/8 here in Canada last summer. I thought that was a bit much untill I went to load it. That ***** heavy!!

hey caveman, 20 gauge is .0359 and 22 gauge is .029 I'm using 22 gauge for my panels it seems to work just fine, but I don't think 20 gauge would be much diff.
and yes 48 is about right, I paid 60 bones (including the cutting fee) for a sheet of 22 g 4x6'

racy Never mind I just saw the date of the post jeesh!!

I'm lucky, we have a sheetmetal shop at work and I can get all the panels I need. I just have to learn to bump, slap and strech it to look good...gettin good at lead work though!!!!!!

If you lived in Oregon I would give you some parts of some of the cars we have parted out. I like to save the roofs for extra metal

If you lived in Oregon I would give you some parts of some of the cars we have parted out. I like to save the roofs for extra metal

Nice. I will have to remember that before I have my parts car hauled off.

Usually 20 guage for outter body panels and 18 guage for the floors. Find a place that does sheet metal fabrications and they will sell you scraps. I picked up two 12" x 36" 18 guage scraps for $10. They pulled them from their scrap pile. You can call local welding supplies and they may be able to refer you to someone, thats what I did.

Usually 20 guage for outter body panels and 18 guage for the floors. Find a place that does sheet metal fabrications and they will sell you scraps. I picked up two 12" x 36" 18 guage scraps for $10. They pulled them from their scrap pile. You can call local welding supplies and they may be able to refer you to someone, thats what I did.

i did the same as well

You may try a body shop as well. I have a friend that runs one and I can get some metal from him. It just lays around the yard till he decides to have it hauled off.
Jeff

-
Back