patching questions

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
hey all, I've got two small areas about the size of a dollar bill I need to patch in both quarter panels on my 74 Duster. I was lurking through previous threads trying to find the gauge of sheet metal I need to use to patch them up and I think saw someone say its around 22 gauge. I tracked down some 22 gauge sheet and it seems really thin for this work. I don't want to buy quarters because the area is so small it would be a waste.
I am using a mig welder with .24 ( I believe) flux, I know I'll have some cleaning up but, I work with what I got.
Any ideas on patching thickness? If I don't respond right away, it's because I'm at work but, I'll checking in for your ideas. Thanks in advance..

I use 18 gauge it's A little thicker . Lot's of guys do. . 24 gauge wire is what you want if you're welder will run it

That dollar bill will probably become 2 dollar bills when the grinder comes out.
Just make sure you go far enough back from rot out to where you have consistent original metal thickness to weld without burn holes
Instantly when beginning to weld. Tack weld 1 inch spacing to not warp metal, then continue spotwelding dot to dot around patch to keep heat down.

I agree with Guitar guy, use 18 guage then you can grind on it a little, see if you can set your welder up with argon co2 or borrow a buddies welder that has it. Flux core is no good for light sheetmetal repair, very dirty and hot.

thanks guys, my neighbor is a retired welder for a refinery, I'm sure he will let me borrow his set up. And I'll make sure to get double what I think I have in rust. I should have posted pictures but, was too smoked from work.

Hopefully your retired refinery worker neighbor won't forget he's not working on structural steel. Ha!

Tack welds, as suggested. Flux is messy. Consider doing some tacks, let cool. Then cut the tops of the beads down with the edge of a cutoff wheel before grinding smooth. Then do more tacks, etc. Might make finishing easier and keep heat down.

-
Back