Patching vinyl seat covers?

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I've looked at some YouTube videos that show it is possible. I have a pretty nice seat with minimal damage and would rather repair than replace. Has anyone done it or recommend what can be done to facilitate it?
Thanks

20230113_132143.jpg

While you're waiting for those new covers why not try it. You just might surprise yourself.

The only one I've done is for a seam on my '05 Ram driver seat bottom cover. It's held up pretty well for the $25 invested (maybe 5-6 years now).
The foam made it too tough to get the seam closed completely at the corner. The paint on color match has worn off but it's not separating........yet.
1673641713420.png

What I used may not be available today.........

1673642369826.png

Yes, it was actually blue with white inserts on seats and backs. It's on the bottom of the seat near the hinge. I "strive for progress not perfection", if I could patch it, I would be happy to reduce it. In the interest of progress and adding a little character, I saw this patch which would cover it nicely I could sew on too.

s-l400.jpg

20230113_172531.jpg

I fixed a few tears in vinyl seats with superglue.

I put superglue on a tiny section, once it was set, in 30 seconds, on to another tiny section.

I held the two sides together, using one or more of these: with a small needle nose pliers, a tiny flat head screwdriver, sewing needles, just barely poked the vinyl near the edge with the needles.

I did a longer section, with the cover off, same process, just held each section together with my hands.

Has held up to this day, that was years ago.

I'd glue a patch from the back and try one of those vinyl repair kits. I just bought a kit but haven't used it to see what kind of job it does. There are lots of videos out there anyway.

This is for the Patching guys that don't have a sewing machine.

It's all about getting the texture right, on every step.

Looks easy here, takes a high degree of skill to make it actually look nice.

Vinyl Repair

-
Back