Votes: 47 74.6%
  • Mild build 440

Votes: 16 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I have a 69 Valiant project going and trying to decide on what motor I want to use.I like my cars to be different than the norm.Do I use the 360 with a Paxton Supercharger or a mild build 440.Due to what I have already available I'm guessing the cost would be about the same

The small block would probably handle better.

What's the plan for the car? Cruiser? Street Bruiser? Drag racing at all?

Supercharged small block will be an awesome cruiser and will not sacrifice fuel economy as much for long hauls. You can't beat the low end torque of a big block, but it's really all in what you plan to do with the car. I personally like supercharger applications, hence my vote, but it's ultimately up to you.

-Mike

Ya, a stock low compression motorhome 440 with a big a** Paxton would be awesome. I've got no supercharger experience but I've got to think you could throw a ton at one of those stock 440's without worry.

Ya, a stock low compression motorhome 440 with a big a** Paxton would be awesome. I've got no supercharger experience but I've got to think you could throw a ton at one of those stock 440's without worry.

And I just so happen to have one of these in my inventory (1975)

That's the plan for my '69 Dart.....eventually. You can spend $2500 on a 6-pack or $15K on a Hemi, but a 440/Paxton just seems like bang-for-the-buck X 10.

I would throw the paxton on the small block, cheaper and eaiser on fuel.

Depends on what parts you already have.

in my head small block wins every time. Add forced induction, that is a no brainer...

I have accumulated much of the parts one of my 1970 340 blocks needed, right down to the ProCharger... I decided on a supercharged 340 with injection as well, figuring I got the rest of what's needed already in the car...

if it was for me IF

I would go with a small block
and pro charger

few years back I built a 408 w2 engine
and mostly happy with it
now if I would knew I woulded have built it
I would have built a 360 and bought a procharger

need more power give it more boost!!!!
wanna do good millage lest boost
you can even drive one on regular gas so...

big block=
bad or costly headers
to much weigh up front:wack:
hard to work on (imagine spark plug change):eek:ops:
weird engine mount
or vibration with elephant ears
+
+
+

my 2 cents

I'm doing research on both options - the trouble with the Paxton is it's like a good drug you always want better and more so I'm told the bottom end needs to be real stout - forged crank - pistons - H beams there's a lot of other things involved that I'm trying to get a grasp on this would make the best all around car and not just a short straight line thrill that the 440 would be so ????????????????????? what $$$$$$$$$$$$ do I want to invest

Find a good 360 magnum and throw a paxton on it, alot of guys have done it on the dakota forumns, cheap fun.
The 360 mag is a durable engine that can be bought from about any salvage yard cheap.

I'm running a 318 magnum and plan to run a kenne bell and a blow through carb setup.

I like the kb just because of the early boost. Mine makes full boost around 1800 rpm.

OK after doing much research on the cost and outcome on many options I am really leaning towards a 2009 + 5.7 HEMI with a modman 4 barrell carb using a 727 trans

-
Back