Pcv valve missing???

-

Dusty17

Reaction score
I've seen it mentioned but never answered before: My duster has got two breather caps (one on each valve cover) and no Pcv valve. The engine runs beautifully, but I just failed inspection twice in 2 days for emissions and I'm almost 100% positive this is the problem. Looking for tips on where to find, how to install, or even just pics of someone else's Pcv/breather setup. Many thanks in advance. Happy Holidays!
-Joe

I have to ask. NJ has emissions on a 70-72 car?
Yep. They've got the same qualifications as they did in the year the car was made, which obviously wasn't too extreme, but this problem was 3 times as bad as the average emissions were back in the day.

Wow, thanks for the reply. As far as adding the PCV, it may help, only because it's a controlled vacuum leak that may lean out the mixture a hair. The best location to attach it to would be at the base of the carb. Really need to know what your running as far as carb and timing if the PCV isn't enough to get by.

I should add that a co-worker when i worked at a GM dealer in the mid 80's had a worked over TransAm and had issues in Maryland where i was at the time. It was a tailpipe only test and no visual. He ended up leaning the carb, pulling his initial timing back to 2* BTDC, increasing the idle to about 1200 rpm's and pulled his PCV and just laid it on the manifold to pull fresh air. He was fortunate that we had a tester in the shop so he could play with it to get thru the test. Yea it barely ran, but he passed....lol.

Wow, thanks for the reply. As far as adding the PCV, it may help, only because it's a controlled vacuum leak that may lean out the mixture a hair. The best location to attach it to would be at the base of the carb. Really need to know what your running as far as carb and timing if the PCV isn't enough to get by.

I should add that a co-worker when i worked at a GM dealer in the mid 80's had a worked over TransAm and had issues in Maryland where i was at the time. It was a tailpipe only test and no visual. He ended up leaning the carb, increasing the idle to about 1200 rpm's and pulled his PCV and just laid it on the manifold to pull fresh air. He was fortunate that we had a tester in the shop so he could play with it to get thru the test.
To be honest, I havent yet committed that info to memory, but i'll check it out tomorrow after i run to the store to try and pick one of these valves up. Otherwise i'll be waiting till the holiday season ends to get this thing shipped to my door. Hopefully it all goes as planned and i can get on the road as soon as possible! Thanks, everyone for the help, and if i don't have time to get back to you tomorrow, have a very merry christmas.
-Joe

-
Back