Pearls, and Kandy Question for the Pro's

-

xlexl

Reaction score
So I've had this idea for the cuda for quite a while, tried doing it on my bike, twice, and failed so heres the question. The goal is to have black with a hint of red, like a dark cherry color you see sometimes only darker. The first time I did black base with about 2oz of red pearl in the first coat of clear (about a quart to do the bike). The color density was correct but came out looking freakn purple instead of red. Figured that maybe I had somehow gotten violet pearl in with the red, so the second time did a new batch. Leary that I was wrong I went ahead and used much less of it figuring that even if it still came out with a purple hue that atleast you;d have to be looking for it to see it. It's a good thing too because it did the same thing.

Where am I going wrong. what should I use to get the result that I want? Switch to a Kandy instead? I'd rather not because of the difficulty of spraying the stuff....but if that's what it takes.....

Pearl over black is a real conundrum ........

The pearl particle needs to be a lighter hue than you intend to see after it's sprayed over the black.......Those particles are not what I'd call 'opaque'....they are actually somewhat translucent, at least in my experience. The base will alter the outcome a bit.....and the density of the pearl determines the amount of black showing through the particles.......

You're gonna need to lighten the red particle that's used, and then spray a test subject of some sort........This kind of thing can get expensive.......

I was hired to spray a Pontic GTO back in 79 that had been painted a medium purple color......The guy wanted a white pearl fog over the top just for an added "flash" or glimmer......I warned him that the pearl particles were going to alter the color......he disagreed, and mixed the pearl/clear the way he thought best and away I went.......It came out smooth and shiny alright, but turned the car "violet" with just a light dusting, just like I warned....

What he should have allowed me to do was apply an extremely light dusting of fine aluminum (metallic) in the clear and it would have done what he wanted without "milking" it out.

Pearl is a bummer...........For custom applications, you just have to experiment.

Thanks for the input, i'm not dead set on having to use pearl. Any ideas on what combos to try?

To give yall a better idea of what im shooting for.

cudafinalcolor.png

Im starting to wonder if im better off shooting a buragndy/red base with black pearl over top....

You can get that effect by shooting a black (or dark charcoal) metallic base with a red candy overlay, then clearcoat.........

Shooting candy over a dark base is not as demanding as over a normal base such as silver or gold..being a much darker foundation, it's also much more forgiving as to uniformity........Many guys will shy away from candy due to it's ticklish properties (you can "streak" it if you don't spray properly)......But again, over black, it won't be nearly as demanding. BUT, I'm not sure I'd do the black without at least a fine metallic......I think it would make it come alive.....BUT, you need to decide that for yourself.

I think your right about the candy, everything ive found resembling what im looking for is a red kandy shot over a black base
i could liven it up with out metallic by adding some silver pearl. But not a big fan of Metallic, love the silky smooth deep paint look, metallic makes it too busy for me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzlcoVN0R0&feature=related"]PHUCKIN PHAT 50 SLED GLITTER KAR! Roussels V818 & ALSA PAINT - YouTube[/ame]

on that one I probably would have added 1 more coat of kandy. and no sparkles lol

Good grief..........That's a large metalflake !!! Egad...................

I was talking about a fine metallic......Fine looks like a pearl in many respects.......... If you did black with pearl, I would use a factory mix of "black pearl" base..........if you try a pearl over a black base, you could again get an unwanted lightening effect, and that would brighten up the red too much....

Have you ever used a Tri Coat? You could also try making a let down panel.

Yeah that's some chunky metal flake, but it sure does look good.

Have you ever used a Tri Coat? You could also try making a let down panel.

threw me off calling it tri-coat, always called it 3stage. Thats how I did the pearl on the bike black base, 1st base coat black, 2nd clear/pearl 3rd clear.

im going to have to make a bunch of em before Im even ready to shoot the car...there is no way in hell im letting my car come out purple. Probably wont be much of a let down panel and more of a "crap i still didn't get it right"

Going to have to try red base black pearl, and black base red Kandy.

Really didn't want to figure this out already but for those who have been tracking my thread its coming close to having to paint the engine bay, and if i do that I might as well Jam everything too.

-
Back