pedal has play?

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Starting to look things over after getting the Duster back. I did not have brake lights so I started to track that down. Figured out it was the brake light switch not adjusted. While tracking that down I noticed the brake pedal had a lot of play. Lowered the steering column to attend to the pedal issue. It appears the bolt through the pedal and rod is a shoulder bolt and may be as tight as it will go? But the pedal still will move and allow the bolt to move without pulling the rod that goes to the booster? Is there suppose to be a bushing around the bolt where it fits the push/pull rod to the booster?

Attachments

• Duster brake pedal rod.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 104
Actually what you have circled in the pic should have one end of a return spring attached to it. The other end of the spring goes to the pedal mounting bracket...

I ran out of garage time for today. I got the switch adjusted to where the lights come on when the pedal is pressed. However once you push the pedal and release it. The brake lights stay on until you pull the pedal back up, slightly. I looked at my 71 Swinger and it appears to be a bit different than this 70 Duster.

I had to adjust mine a couple times after replacing a master cylinder. At one point they'd stay on if I parked downhill. The switch was pretty dirty and worn. I finally went with the enclosed switch style and readjusted. Now it's perfect.

View attachment switch.jpg

-
Back