Percolation? Heat soak? Don't drive during summer??

-
You didn't read: he hasn't test driven it since addressing the coil, so how would anyone know if the problem persists?
I think it's funny that in your very first post your suggestions where to replace the fuel filter and switch to efi! I recommended a fuel filter and that not the problem! I know a problem still persists because he is running 220 degrees at idle but according to the God of "garbage" A bodies (your words) 220 degrees is perfectly ok because it was setting in a garage. :rolleyes:

I think it's funny that in your very first post your suggestions where to replace the fuel filter and switch to efi! I recommended a fuel filter and that not the problem! I know a problem still persists because he is running 220 degrees at idle but according to the God of "garbage" A bodies (your words) 220 degrees is perfectly ok because it was setting in a garage. :rolleyes:

Let me know when you catch up with the conversation. New **** has come to light.

Here's the thing I already stated previously: my water temp would climb when in the garage. Faster the further in I parked (or if 'stuff' was in front of the car). I could let the car roll in neutral back into the driveway and the water temp would fall.
This is from memory, and a different engine ago, but I recall seeing as high as 212-215 in the garage, but it would fall under 206 in the driveway.
Going from 210-220 in an enclosed garage vs outside is within that same order of magnitude.

Is real experience good enough? ;)
You do realize your experience was with that one car with that one motor with that one garage in that particular circumstance?...which of course opens it up to if it was a different motor with a different cooling system with a different circumstance like you were saying shrouds or whatever???...

I bet if I pulled my new truck in your garage it wouldn't overheat no matter how long I let it run...

You do realize your experience was with that one car with that one motor with that one garage in that particular circumstance?...which of course opens it up to if it was a different motor with a different cooling system with a different circumstance like you were saying shrouds or whatever???...

Oh, absolutely. But it's not just this car I've seen it with. I'll state that it would be very possible to build a cooling system capable of cooling a hot motor in an enclosed space. But that's not the standard to which most aspire, or ever attain and I would put forth that most older cars would experience hotter idle temps in an enclosed space unless someone has spent some considerable time enhancing the cooling system (or moving somewhere not so deadly hot).

I bet if I pulled my new truck in your garage it wouldn't overheat no matter how long I let it run...

Does it have a massive cam, headers, 1930's thermostat technology, and a fan clutch made by an aftermarket company with low quality standards?

Cars have come a long way in 50 years.

By the way, I give @j par credit for derailing the thread away from a heat-soak issue to a likely electronics issue which turned out to have a lot of merit.

Does it have a massive cam, headers, 1930's thermostat technology, and a fan clutch made by an aftermarket company with low quality standards?

Cars have come a long way in 50 years.
Well we could park my 410 dual-quad stroker in your garage and see if it gets hot but I'm going to have the AC on inside the car while we do it... on a hundred degree day I've never seen my car get over 205 no matter where it's at...

That I understand. But the green wire doesn’t actually trigger the firing. The switch (points, light or magnet) does that.

EDIT: a quick thought just popped into my head. I suppose it is possible that a grounded wire can trigger firing. So DD may not be on the wrong track with that. My bad for not thinking that through.

That's the term he used to describe it to us that's on par with his understanding. We all know what he's talkin about so so stop bein you for five minutes and give him a break. dummy

Well we could park my 410 dual-quad stroker in your garage and see if it gets hot but I'm going to have the AC on inside the car while we do it... on a hundred degree day I've never seen my car get over 205 no matter where it's at...

And you've done quite a bit to your cooling system, no? Is it going to hit 103F today in your town the way Vegas will? How about humidity? ;)

I mean, apples and oranges amiright?

Like I said, a cooling system CAN be made to work anywhere/everywhere. But running in an enclosed space is a tough task which takes proper design to overcome. Stock-like cooling capacity is not going to overcome that challenge, especially with a crank driven fan.

And you've done quite a bit to your cooling system, no? Is it going to hit 103F today in your town the way Vegas will? How about humidity? ;)

Like I said, a cooling system CAN be made to work anywhere/everywhere. But running in an enclosed space is a tough task which takes proper design to overcome. Stock-like cooling capacity is not going to overcome that challenge, especially with a crank driven fan.
Damn disagreed again LOL no I haven't done quite a bit to my cooling system. I guess an electric fan if that's exotic to you. No shroud.. a Factory water pump and a cheap Summit 2 row aluminum radiator. Probably cost $160... I don't have $400 into my entire cooling system including the hoses... That's pump hoses thermostat fan and radiator... I'm not one of those falutin three-car garage kind of guys... LOL...

Damn disagreed again LOL no I haven't done quite a bit to my cooling system. I guess an electric fan if that's exotic to you. No shroud.. a Factory water pump and a cheap Summit 2 row aluminum radiator. Probably cost $160... I don't have $400 into my entire cooling system including the hoses... That's pump hoses thermostat fan and radiator... I'm not one of those falutin three-car garage kind of guys... LOL...

Let me qualify "quite a bit": of effort. I would not call an electric fan exotic, but to some of the neanderthals here it's super exotic and space-age kinda stuff (and since it wasn't OEM they would argue is totally unncessary). I would argue that an electric fan is probably the best first step anyone could take to improve their system by a substantial degree. That alone would make the biggest difference in 'cool anywhere' performance, so your car may be able to get there.
But that's because the electric fan is going to be able to do more cooling work than a crank-driven affair could ever aspire to.

But since Doc doesn't have an electric fan, I would not expect his system to be able to cope with an enclosed space.

Let me qualify "quite a bit": of effort. I would not call an electric fan exotic, but to some of the neanderthals here it's super exotic and space-age kinda stuff (and since it wasn't OEM they would argue is totally unncessary). I would argue that an electric fan is probably the best first step anyone could take to improve their system by a substantial degree. That alone would make the biggest difference in 'cool anywhere' performance, so your car may be able to get there.
But that's because the electric fan is going to be able to do more cooling work than a crank-driven affair could ever aspire to.

But since Doc doesn't have an electric fan, I would not expect his system to be able to cope with an enclosed space.
personally I'm not a fan (excuse the pun) of the whirling blade of death as I like to call it...

Good God man. The second my car won't idle in a garage without overheating is the day I get into something outlandish, maybe something like snowmobiling ?

Agreed. I like my fans low-mass and able to reach max rpm/flow at idle...

:rolleyes:

cb084d22534599.5633a63042905.jpg

-
Back