Performance Hood Treatment for a 72 Duster 340 question.

-

autologus

Wrencher wanabe
Reaction score
I was wondering does anyone know what the performance hood treatment looked like on a 72 Duster 340? When I repaint my duster I want to do the Hood treatment but I would like it to be year model correct. I like the black out hood with 340 callout but if its not year correct ill go with out. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Grady

Here's my Scamp,not original but i liked the look.
The hood i had painted flat black and the sticker is from YearOne.
52859443.jpg

52859443.jpg

It's my understanding that both the 71 & 72 versions were the same. Flat black with CID callout. Usually white numerals angled like Evils.

Great thats what I was wanting to hear. I like the blacked out hood with the 340 callouts. My car has buckets and console but they are not original and I was going to replace them with a bench to be original but my wife was like "why don't you leave them I like them, I looks more sporty". So since I am not going to keep it original I thought why not make it look like I want it to but keep it date correct. The buckets and console are correct ones for the car now all I need to do is the steering column trick i read in another post here and straighten the body and paint and I will be stylin'.

Grady

I don't know if they are correct or not but i have seen the 340 callout with word wedge in red instead of white.

Evil, the facotry versions from 71 had Wedge in White. I know for certain for my 1st Duster had the v-24 code option. Once i get the Duster here next month, mine is also going to have the same look. Balckout hood with 340 Callout decal.

I like that look too. Do they make one that says 416 Wedge? :twisted:

:burnout:

GotDart said:
I like that look too. Do they make one that says 416 Wedge? :twisted:

:burnout:

I havent seen one but any good decal shop should be able to do it.

not only was the hood blacked out but the tops on the fenders, doors and back to the quarter windows

What is supposed to be used on the A pilar for the transition from the black to the body color ? Or is there just a paint seam for this ? While looking at some old photos I see what appears to be a small chrome strap, and on others I see nothing.

album_thumbnail.jpg

72rtsad.jpg

heres the only thing i could find for 72... BUT 71 has alot more detailed photos...

1971_Plymouth_Duster_ad.jpg

Mopar471 said:
What is supposed to be used on the A pilar for the transition from the black to the body color ? Or is there just a paint seam for this ? While looking at some old photos I see what appears to be a small chrome strap, and on others I see nothing.

from what i see... only the cars with a vinyl top have the trip piece... otherwise its just a paint line.

I have seen non vinyl top cars with the transition piece. Not sure if I am supposed to have it.

The big 340 wedge decal is for a '71, the '72 had the strobed stripe and dual scoops or nothing at all. The large 340 wedge decal was for '71 only. I just sold my numbers matching '72 340 duster in july. I had it since '80 and am now working on a 70 duster with a 440 in it and I liked the 72 hood so much I am redoing mine to look like that. I just need a 71 or a 72 hood. they had the holes pre drilled in the bracing for the scoops. Makes mounting the scoops on right much easier without the proper template to go off of. Hope this helps.

got a question.... what color exactly is the hood blackout if paint it ... i hear semigloss, then i hear matte... which is it?

thx'
'Jim

I believe the last guy is right 72 340 Duster had the 71 Twister hood treatment with or without dual scoops

-
Back