Performance lock up 727

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to build a 727 lock-up converter with a bit of performance in it? I have a trans already, but I had the thought with a small stall converter 22-2400, and maybe a transgo shift kit in it, extra clutches, 5-1 KD lever... everything that would be in a non lock up trans. I am trying to pull more mpg out of the car and the extra % that the LU trans produce, should give me another 1-2 mpg. Considering I already need to rebuild the non-LU 727 that is in the car now, Just wondering if it would be worth it.

The car is a 71 Charger 360/727 with factory high stall converter, 2.94 rear. Currently I am getting about 14-16mpg and am trying to match or beat the milage in my 09 Ram.
Thanks

I've rebuilt so many 727's over the past 30 yrs. I can't even recall how many it was but in that time I have yet to even see a lockup model. I know they exist, just haven't seen one. Even in spite of not seeing one it'd surprise me if there is a big diff. between the strength of it vs. a non lockup so I'd say yes it's very possible to build one to withstand some torture and a mpg. increase should be possible using one. The only thing is you'll probably notice a perf. lockup converter will cost more than a non lockup verter and you won't find one on every street corner like you do with a non lockup verter. With that said here are some things I've found over the yrs.. Do not use a 5 to 1 kd lever. They were designed for the wider band for a hemi trans. that required more leverage to apply it. Nearly every time I've seen a 5 to 1 band used the trans. has some overlap on the 2-3 shift. I use a 3.8 or 4.2 lever in the ones I do. There are several factors that actually determine what ratio lever to use. The type of band (solid or flex), the # of return springs in the front clutch pack, the type of front servo, the clutch pack clearance, # of springs in the accumulator or if it is blocked, and the hole diameters in the valve body transfer plate. If you want to be safe (as in no overlap) use a 3.8 lever. There is very little difference in how hard 2nd gear will hit using the lower ratio lever. Also double check to see if the Trans-go kit will work in a lockup VB. If you have a 4 clutch front drum, which yours probably is, you can use 5 thin clutches designed for the rear clutch pack. Just make sure to check and adjust the clearance to achieve .060"~.075" clearance.

any performance goodys you put in are not going to raise gas milage. you still have a 1-1 final ratio. you dont see many high stall lu convertors. the high stall would eat up the savings anyways. i dont think the cost is worth the maybe 2 mpg.

........With a TG-2 shift kit i like to see .020 p0er each front clutch..........As soon as u build up ur lu trans u will be stripping the splines in the tork....don't ask me how i know.........leave the lu on the floor of ur shop..........kim........

-
Back