Performer or Street Dominator with TQ?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I know it's not an A-body but my cousin is getting ready for some "first tier" power upgrades for his 440-equipped '72 Dodge Polara (intake, carb, HP exh. manifolds, dual exhaust). He already got a 'new' rebuilt ThermoQuad per my recommendation (help with gas mileage) and needs to swap the intake manifold as well. Looking on Summit the only spread-bore choices are the MP M-1 and Holley Street Dominator single-planes, and the Eddy Performer dual-plane. I'm pretty sure he wants to add a good hi-po street cam later in the future, would the Performer be enough for that or could he try running one of the single-planes? It does have stock 2.76 gears and converter (at least for now), and it is a 440 we're talking about so I'm thinking torque should still be ample... What do you guys think?

Even though it is a 440 it is in a real heavy car with airplane gears so you need to keep as much low end torque as possible. That said I'd probably go with a street dominator. Nice middle of the road manifold. It's a single plane but doesn't have huge runners or plenum so it's still got decent torque yet real good top end power. Much better top end than a performer has and it doesn't give up much low end torque. JMHO

You need to get a dual plane intake and if no spread bore intakes are out there,get a adapter plate for spread bore to square flange adapter,then the world is your oyster,and you can get some niece use ones on craigslist or this site,and I can do you up a 600/650 carb as well for cheap,mrmopartech

Performer RPM would be my choice.

Matter of fact that's what I have on my 383 Dart..

---

I'd go with the Performer, several years ago I ran back to back tests with a Street Dominator and a stock iron TQ manifold on the 440 in my W200 tow rig using the same carburetor and made no other changes. There was a noticeable difference in low end response between them and the stocker won hands down.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like we'll stick with the dual-plane... We did originally want to use a Performer RPM but he already has a ThermoQuad. Would there be a noticeable loss in efficiency from using an adapter to mate the TQ to the RPM? I just don't like giving up power/MPG if I can help it...

-
Back