Period correct Wheels for the Valiant

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We need wheels for the Valiant, 15x12 with a 7 1/2 Back space. Bought Cragar Super Tricks and Had Weld drag lights on the car. But neither are allowed in the East Coast Gasser class. Many on this forum told us that they are not available in a OEM steel style wheel. Tried Wheels Vintique, They wouldn't make them. 10 inch only with a 5 1/2 Back space.

My son talked to the owner of some Max wedge cars and found a company that makes them. We'll have them in two weeks. They do up to 15 inch wide with any back space.

I'll post pictures when he gets them, Front rails are stripped and the straight axle is in. Car sits the same height as it did with A-arms . No K-member or any front suspension in the car at all . No shock towers no fender wells . Just a small set of leafs and Light weight Wilwood brakes and small tube axle and a motor plate. Engine moved back 1 inch and raised 3/4 , Milodon truck pan this all gets the ride height lower .

Car weighed 2200 before we cut all this out of the car, Can't wait to weigh it again. . Glass doors,bumpers,deck lid, all lexan windows, Aluminum floor, Steel rear wheels will add some weight but it will be where it is needed. These are before I'll get some after the wheels are here. Everything under the hood is gone except for the rails and the down tubes.

100_0051 (2).JPG

100_0051.JPG

100_0052.JPG

100_0053.JPG

Nice work gentlemen, can't wait to see that one completed. What motor you putting in it? 65'

Are wheelie bars permitted? Because you’re gonna need em! Awesome build.

Hope it's a 4 speed!

Make sure you have 8-10* caster with that axle.

IF the two piece torque thrusts are legal, American Racing custom shop will make you what you want.
I had some 15x12 TT2s made up with minimum backspace a few years back I think the pair was around $750-800. I think they are half again as much now.

IF the two piece torque thrusts are legal, American Racing custom shop will make you what you want.
I had some 15x12 TT2s made up with minimum backspace a few years back I think the pair was around $750-800. I think they are half again as much now.
500 Cu in. 4 spd with slicks . They do not recommend custom 2 piece torque thrust wheels. We have Weld Drag lights & Cargar Super Tricks. They said they are two new, Although there are cars running them we need vintage wheels Or steel rims for initial inspection.

We were putting the straight axle in and found the car to be to high so we ordered the 6 inch drop axle. The Vega steering box came yesterday. Steve is cutting the wilwood hubs to fit the bearings for the Speedway Motor spindles so we can run the light weight race rotors. Also had to install a different engine plate. They had the engine centered in the front. This made it crooked in the car.

The 2 inch fender well hooker headers hit the down tube on the passenger side so we have to route 2 tubes different.We cut both headers apart at the head and cut the collectors off anyway to put reducers on. A trick not many do to increase torque . so he will place the tubes where they need to go. Ordered some 2 inch U-bends. Master cylinder needs to be moved so the valve cover can be removed for valve adjustment.

I'll update with pictures as soon as I find my camera. I left it lay somewhere.

-
Back