Pertronix 600 rev limiter

-
I tried one, didn't get it to work. Maybe I hadn't wired it right, but I returned it and bought a Mallory hyfire. It is such a more capable unit for only about $100 more. It is multiple spark, has 2 step rev limiter, window switch if you want to use nitrous in the future, adjustable spark retard for nitrous use and spark retard for starting. It's easily adjustable and digital. I mounted it under the dash and ran the wires through the firewall (I'm paranoid about heat since I've lost 2 MSD units in the past). The pertronix unit is a rev limiter only, seems like it's something you might outgrow in the future. Here's a link for the mallory if you want to check it out. Summit has the installation instructions on their website.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-685/

That is a good point you make, but I'm also concerned with being able to service the system should something fail. In 5 years will I be able to find another box like it or will I have to install something new again?

I've been looking at units like you have and am interested, but I'm also not sure I need it. Sure, I want it, but I also seem to get hosed with a faulty product when I spend. I'm the guy that installs it perfectly, but it's defective and I have to wait a month to get a new one whereas everyone else's works fine. Not that this doesn't happen to anyone else, but it sure happens to me a lot so I really want to be sure these things are worth it.

How long have you had yours and have you had any problems with it? Did you install it using the adapter harness they recommend in the manual? Where and how did you mount it under the dash? Did you notice any differences between it and the stock ignition? Have any installation photos?

I'll get you some pictures tomorrow of the install. As for your questions:

I've had it for one month, I did some searching online and didn't see too many bad reviews. I have had problems with MSD and I was nervous about this one. I'm hoping installing it away from engine heat and with a fuse inline will prevent it failing.

Summit has an adapter that they make - I used it and it's just like the mallory version

I mounted it on the firewall to the left of the clutch pedal and routed the wires through the firewall below the ballast resistor. I was able to do this because I removed the fresh air vent that was in the way (I'll get some pictures for you tomorrow).

Differences between it and stock: It idles smoother now, and I have a rev limiter in normal driving and a 2-step for launching. I still have my stock box, ballast resistor and all installed on my car, so if the mallory box fails I can switch plugs from the distributor and coil connections and drive home on the stock electronic ignition set-up (looking under the hood it looks all stock). Your concern about it failing and getting a replacement a month later isn't an issue if you have the stock backup already installed and ready to go.

Here's some pictures. The one of the engine bay shows the wires coming from the mallory unit behind the firewall. I also have a 12V starter cable and 12V power cable coming through there since I moved the battery to the trunk. I left the ballast resistor and ignition box in place so I can hook it up if the mallory box fails.

The other picture shows it installed under the dash. I had to remove the fresh air vent to put it there. Hope this helps you in your decision.

cables.jpg

mallory.jpg

-
Back