Pertronix Ignitor to replace points or go full electronic

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Pertronix Ignitor II unit to replace points or would you recommend just going with the electronic distributor and box? I am trying to keep the engine looking as stock as possible but want the reliability.

I used one on my 65 mustang. It has been in there for at least 5 years and is running fine. I am going to install one in my 69 Dodge Coronet next time the points wear out. The pertronix unit installs in the same spot as the points. A magnetic sleeve slides over the distributor cam and you set the clearance with a .030 plastic feeler guage included in the kit. After that you just run the 2 wires to the + & - sides of the coil. It's a 20 minute job and you can't beat the price.

I put one in my 273 in my '65 Barracuda almost 2 years ago. It's been working flawlessly since. The only problem is, if something were to go wrong you can't get parts off the shelf, whereas a Mopar ignition system you can get parts anywhere...that's what all the people say, but I haven't have any problems with it. It's completely hidden except that there are now two wires from the distributor. You could cover them in heat shring tubing then it would look like one.

Neil.

I put one in my cuda about a year ago and it starts and drives fine but seems a little flat when I get on it. Only difference was the petronix unit on a good dist, so I grabbed a curved out dual point and like it much much better

I have installed many Pertronix units over the yrs. for people who wanted to keep the stock look but wanted the reliability of electronics and had very good luck with them. Never had one fail. Nice simple installation too.

-
Back