(PET) Scan - Positive Emission Tomography Accuracy

-

JeffisOld

Old, Ugly and generally Disagreeable!
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing thoughts from those who have had to undergo these tests recently - Please. I would like to think the accuracy has improved.

I went through this in 2006, but my wife is having to undergo this now and I am curious what personal opinions might be.

It was much easier to deal with this regarding myself when I was a bachelor than now that the concerns are for my wife. Truth be told, I'm scared to death! Thank You!

PET is very straight forward as to what it does and how it images. The accuracy really isn’t the question. It’s more about how the person reading the data and interpreting it does their job. For the most part, this technique has been around long enough that the reading of the information has gotten a lot better. In the early days, the people doing the interpretation were still just learning.

No, don't know what to ask? Do you work in the field?

I guess I most curious of the accuracy of spotting metasticization in the lymph nodes.

This is my wife and I am quite nervous!

No, don't know what to ask? Do you work in the field?

I guess I most curious of the accuracy of spotting metasticization in the lymph nodes.

This is my wife and I am quite nervous!
I am a Pharmaceutical executive in Development and have over 10 new drugs approved in areas including oncology. We use PET as part of some of our clinical trials.

PET is one of the primary techniques for identifying matasticization in other tissues such as lymph’s nodes. It is a good technique and can be very informative. However, it is only a part of the arsenal of techniques used. Oncology these days is very advanced and success rates are higher than they have ever been.

If you are concerned about the quality of care, consider finding experts that can give you a second opinion. There are lots of good cancer centers out there.

Thank you! I won't go into this blind.

Don't.

Ask lots of questions. The stupid question is the one that goes unasked. If the docs can't be straightforward, then find another doc. Even "I don't know," is an honest answer.

Scariest moment of your life is being on the outside looking in.

Doctor Google is the worst place to go. Google a common cold and nine out of ten websites will make you think you'll be dead in a week. But if you can pull information from legitimate websites, you can arm yourself with questions to ask.

The process sucks. The waiting is even worse. The uphill battle as a caretaker sucks even more.

You have my prayers, as does your wife, of course. But in times like these people forget the caretakers, full of stress, full of worry, and scared to death about what may happen, while keeping the brave face on to carry our loved ones through it. It's easy enough to snap under the pressure of it and devote so much of yourself to your loved one you kinda loose yourself along the way.

I can say without a doubt, it's easy to be strong on this side. Harder to stay strong on the other side, even with good outcomes.

Whatever you do, make time for yourself, daily if necessary, to put some of the stress to rest.

Gonna get off my soapbox now, since none of this addresses your questions PM's are open if you need to talk.

I mean it.

It's much different when it's you than someone you love!

In 2006 I had non-small call carcinoma of the R upper lobe. Lobectomy followed with taxotere/something else, then radiation, took 6 months after discovery to surgery, worst time of my life.

I understand!

Thank you guys!

-
Back