Petronix help

-

The Skunk

Reaction score
I recently purchased the ignitor (the lower of the three) electronic ignition upgrade and I was wanting to use a blaster 2 msd coil and resistor but I can't find any real helpful diagrams pics or instructions to run this set up any help would be aperciated
Thanks in advance! !

Why two threads on same subject?

Careful! I did the same Pertronix conversion. Make sure when you unscrew the points system from your distributor, to use a magnetic screwdriver, the last thing you want is a small screw down in the distributor!

I'll give you a kind of step-by-step process how to convert, but first, make sure you have at MAXIMUM a 50-60 Ampere alternator. You don't want to fry your electrical system with new 75-100 Amp alternators. The electronics of Chrysler, although from the 60's-70's, were NOT up to par with other manufacturers systems. They were more suited for cars from the 30's.

So once you remove the points system from the distributor, remove the condenser as well, with the wires removed from the ignition coil as well.

Get a good coil that can sustain the new pertronix system. Then from there its just remove and replace.

If your distributor cap is stock, I would upgrade to a standard motor products "Bluestreak" line --> Good quality products from them.

You have to use the Pertronix rotor that is given in the kit, if you put on the cap again and hear a kind of grinding noise from the distributor when you start the car, take a Dremel and shave down the metal tip on the rotor so it can clear the cap (not too much!)

Upgrade spark plug wires (Magnecore Wires are best), and spark plugs (NGK ZFR5N are THE best and remove the spark plug rings as well!)

Check you Ballast Resistor as well, and replace if necessary.

Generally if you upgrade to electronic ignition on a car originally with the points system, its a pretty good idea to go over the whole ignition and charging systems. Its like buying a new suit but wearing old, beat up shoes when you go to a party.

Sorry guys iv been in a hurry trying to get everything smoothed out n the ol girl running like a top for prom n panicked n posted instead of searchn hard... but do I hook the red petronix lead to the coil or the ballast resistor sesne im using the msd blaster 2 coil?

And sorry guys idk why it submited two threads?? Didnt mean too lol

Sorry guys iv been in a hurry trying to get everything smoothed out n the ol girl running like a top for prom n panicked n posted instead of searchn hard... but do I hook the red petronix lead to the coil or the ballast resistor sesne im using the msd blaster 2 coil?

And sorry guys idk why it submited two threads?? Didnt mean too lol

Red to the ballast where you have power in both the run and start positions. (directions say to the positive side of the coil) but that is for a non ballast system.
I'm pretty sure you want a full 12 to the ignitor, but I'll check more and see what I come up with. UPDATE: This is the case.
Black to the coil negative.

The second page of this pdf shows the ballast after the ignitor's power, so hook the ignitor red wire to the ballast where the poer goes into it so you have a full 12 volts to it.
[ame]http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/447-1144.pdf[/ame]

If I remember correctly, when I installed my Ignitor II, the instructions recommended removing the ballast resistor from the circuit for optimal performance. Not sure if the same is recommended for the original Ignitor system. Might be worth checking.

All installation instructions can be found here:

http://www.pertronix.com/support/instructions/

The ignitor II slant 6 application is # 91361A

I had Ignitor "1" in my car. It uses the ballast resistor. The installition instructions came with it though. Ran great...WHILE IT WORKED! Just up and quit after 5 months. Pertronix sent a replacement, but I'm not sure if I'll install it or not. I may just stick with points.

I've been running the ignitor I on my slant for close to a year now. Works fine. No hassle. The instructions told me to leave the stock ballast resistor though.

sounds like its just as easy to get a $40 stock replacement electronic ignition distributor and wire it up!

-
Back