Phenolic Carb Spacer

-

1967 Cuda

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to run a 4 hole tapered spacer on my 470 and had a question for the group in regards to phenolic vs aluminum carb spacers. I was looking at a Jegs phenolic spacer that says it is good with temperatures up to 400 degrees, which seems to be pretty high. This is going on a street motor that will get driven fairly regularly in the summer and my only concern is that I read a number of articles which mention phenolic spacers warping and causing vacuum leaks. (i'm guessing that is why they make aluminum spacers) Does anyone have experience with a phenolic spacer in a street application? If so, have you had any issues with it and would you recommend running it or and aluminum spacer?

For years I ran a tapered 4 hole spacer on top of an open spacer and had no issues. Both of mine were phenolic.
I did have an open six pak scoop so that let a lot of heat out as well.

Under a closed hood I think it is a moot point.

Just curious why you want the spacer? I build a wood spacer once to try on a single plane to test for more power, but i couldn't bring myself to install it...lol. I did try several aluminum one's but on the street didn't feel any ''seat of the pants'' gains so i did away with it.

Just curious why you want the spacer? I build a wood spacer once to try on a single plane to test for more power, but i couldn't bring myself to install it...lol. I did try several aluminum one's but on the street didn't feel any ''seat of the pants'' gains so i did away with it.
Good question. I am not running the spacer for HP as much as I am running fuel injection and the spacer apparently reduces noise from the injectors that is common with the sniper systems.

I've only used them to prevent fuel from boiling out of carb. Never had an issue with phenolic spacer.

A while back while wandering the pits before an IHRA pro stock event early in the AM i had the opportunity to speak with Tony Jones who was the carb guy for the Goforth team.
I asked him about his split dominators sitting on the plywood spacers. he told me it was the best insulator he had found. .....

as a side note they were nicely urethaned B-)

I run one on my 512 and it's been just fine on the street

-
Back