Phone interview HELP for Manitoba Job

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I spoke to the HR Manager today for a wastewater treatment position in Neepawa Manitoba. She sent me a list of questions that I have filled out and sent back to her. She is contacting me on Monday afternoon and Im asking you good members for some help. I dont know what she is going to be asking me on Monday, but here are the list of questions from the questionaire. As I said, I have responded to them, BUT what do you think I should prepare for with the phone interview??

• Briefly describe to me your Current and previous roles
  • What interests you most about Wastewater Treatment, Wastewater Distribution, Wastewater Collection?
  • What do you understand about the role, why does it attract you and how does this job fit in with your career plans?
  • What particular skills or experiences make you the best match for this position?
  • With applying for this role, what are your expectations on working and residing in the Neepawa, MB area? Have you done some research on the area relating to housing, shopping, amenities, etc?

Thanks all!!

Most organizations today use behavioural interviews. The HR manager will ask you a specific question (this question is usually related to the competencies which are required for the job) and ask that you give an example of how you handled it in the past. I would recommend that you research first the competencies required for the job, they are usually listed as part of the job description. Then you could look up behavioural interviews on the net. Might be a good idea (if you have not already done so) to ask the HR manager if she could e-mail you a copy of the job description. They know from you resume what educational credentials and experience you have. They are trying to see how well a fit you would be with their organization. I would also visit the town's web site to see what information such as a mission statement they may have listed which will help you identify with what their vision is. Lots of good info on the net regarding job interviews. Good luck!

Thanks bernieca, I plan on opening the books up again as well as doing some MORE research on Neepawa and the Company that is interviewing me.

thanks!
Steve

I spent some time learning water treatment and water chemistry control when I was in the Navy. It's not really waste treatment as we just piped that over, but we did make our own fresh water from sea water and then also controlled a very specific chemical balance in the steam generators and nuclear reactor. I loved it but also love my home state of Montana and that work was not common here. Waste treatment was an area I really thought about doing and wish now I had. It's a growing and advancing industry not just in cities but in mining and manufacturing. Instead I'm at the dying postal service LOL! It's a good service job in the government but seems endlessly buried in bureaucratic rules and poor management.
I don't know much about interviews as I have done all of 3 interviews in my 42 years. I would say stay cheerful, and impress on then you are looking for a long term commitment with them and the community there. The last thing the HR lady wants is to have to redo all this work again. She is probably completely disconnected from the actual job being done, meaning she doesn't have to live working with those she hires, nor does she actually know anything about the job she is filling. I could be wrong. Either way don't assume to know anything about a job before you are in it. Mainly just good luck! I hope you get it.

Sorry Steve, I don't have any advise for you but I wish you the best of luck :glasses7:

I think if you have a copy of the job description that would be benefcial. The biggest thing is to make sure you want to relocate.

Good Luck Steve, Hope it works out for y'a

Neepawa is a nice scenic farm town. If you like the outdoors [hunting & fishing] you'll love the area. Housing prices are relatively low compared to Ontario. Our car insurance is the 2nd lowest in Canada. Neepawa is located 3hrs from Winnipeg, 1hr from Brandon & 1/2 hr from Riding Mountain National Park. I believe the main employer is a hog processing plant.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/hylifes-expansion-prompts-hiring-drive-166629206.html

Best place to find out about Neepawa would be their newspaper

http://www.neepawapress.com/

Good Luck with the job search.

BTW: Not that it's that important, but there's a lot of Mopars in Mb & several members of FABO here. You'll be welcomed with open arms.​

Hey IIGW, thanks for the info thats great! The more fabo/mopar guys close by the better!
Believe me, I dont want to relocate, but I gotta work!

Best advice I could give you would be to research the area and see if it is a good fit for you to live there. That will be very important in a smal town liek that.

Do you have experience in Waste water treatment? If so think back to any difficulties you experienced and how you overcame them.

When she asks if you have questions have a few prepared about the job and the area. It is always good to ask about the culture at the job. Keep that question general like "How would you describe the culture here at work?"

About the area ask something liek what do people most like and most dislike about living in the area. If at all possible try and figure those two things out before hand so when she asks you about relocating you and stress the good stuff as important and the bad stuff as irrelevant to you.

I think the last question makes it pretty clear that they want you to relocate and they're worried about wasting their time on someone who either backs out or quits because of the location. I think you need to convince them that you're really really excited about moving to Neepawa.

One good thing about a phone interview is that they cannot see if you are nervous. Just be yourself and answer the questions honestly and you will be alright.

Thanks for all the good points and advice guys! Its looking good so far, we spoke for 5 minutes on the phone today, but i was at work so had to cut it short. What she did say is that they are looking for someone NOW. So that puts it more in my favor(I think). We have phone interview scheduled for Monday afternoon. Lori is not happy, but in these economic times, ya gotta make sure bills are paid, just sucks paying rent there and mortgage here! Keep the advice and pointers coming!!

Thanks
4spdragtop

Good luck Steve! I'm sure you will do great. You are a very personable guy and will have no problem with the interview. Just relax and be yourself. I personally love Manitoba. My mom was born and raised there and we often went out to visit my grandparents on the farm. Like as has been said before, the wildlife and scenery are fantastic and the fishing is even better. There is also nothing like western hospitality. If you get the job and decide to go, you will fit right in!

Good luck Steve! I'm sure you will do great. You are a very personable guy and will have no problem with the interview. Just relax and be yourself. I personally love Manitoba. My mom was born and raised there and we often went out to visit my grandparents on the farm. Like as has been said before, the wildlife and scenery are fantastic and the fishing is even better. There is also nothing like western hospitality. If you get the job and decide to go, you will fit right in!

Thanks Andy! I appreciate the kind words!

Steve, good luck on the interview tomorrow. Relax and think about the questions, be yourself - after all that is who they want to get to know! Richard

Good luck on the interview Steve. Just be yourself, be confident in your ability to give them what they need.

That last question looks to be something of a gotcha to me, they want to make sure you have looked at the area and are comfortable moving there, not just taking a job for jobs sake, and then moving when/if you found something back in your "comfort zone".

Thanks again everyone for the advice. For me this is a temporary move(6 months minimum) to get experience, then hopefully back to Ontario(possibly with same company).

-
Back