Photo request: '68 rear speaker fader on rally dash

-

S'cuder

Living in my own Private Idaho
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Please help if you can.
I need pictures of the rear speaker fader switch in the 1968 rally dash. I specifically need to see any button and/or bezel present.
The location should be right of the radio, between the lighter and the glove box door.
Thank you, I appreciate any and all help!

giphy.gif

anyone-answer.gif

I had a set up that I sold awhile back, the knob looked a lot like the knobs on the radio and it had a chromed pot metal bezel that said "Rear Speaker". it was designed to go into the underside of the dash frame where it rolls over, much like the "rear air" and map light switches. If you want a picture or want to buy the set up that I sold, let me know and I can contact the parts seller I sold it to and see if he still has it.

Thanks for the replies.

From what I've found, it appears to have been only a dealer installed option in '68 using PN 2864331 as a package containing all the parts needed. So, the position of the fader switch varied. The owner's manual shows it to be just to the right of the cigar lighter. But, as seen by the photo from an old for sale thread by @bluebyyou it was up to the technician as to where it got installed. Probably much easier to just drill a hole next to the steering column than to mess with the instrument cluster bezel. The bezel PN2426942 in the picture is correct as to what was included with the install kit. It also is used in several other applications on different cars from the era. The bezels similar to the "Map Light" and "Rear Air" on my '68 must have had other applications.

Still looking for a NOS or nice knob, PN 2580253.

A413C5FD-1738-4DF0-894F-308BD8E870E2.jpeg

So the switch that I sold him doesn't look like the one in the picture. It has a bezel that goes under dash with the words printed on the edge so that they are right side up and visible from the seat. The knob looks like the small plastic center piece in the radio knob (pebble grain black). I called the guy I sold it to to find out if it is still available and to get a picture if it is available. If it's what you want I can put you two in contact.

Thank you, but I'm pretty sure I've nailed down the correct parts I need, just finding a nice knob will about do it.

This is from the 1968 Accessories catalog, thanks to Barry Washington and Hamtramck Historical. Here you can see 2864331 is the rear speaker installation for a Barracuda.
68_Accessories_Catalog0013.jpg

This is from the 1968 Parts Manual listing the parts in the kit, with the part number for many of them, including the knob and bezel.
IMG_20220922_110519934_2.jpg

This picture shows some parts I've collected along the way.
Top row, left to right: 1) plastic fader knob for 1971-74 B-Bodies. 2) Knob uncertain of application but has half-moon hole and set screw that fits the fader switch. It's larger than the next two, so not quite right, but I'll probably use it for now. 3) A knob that looks just like one on the headlight and wiper knobs knob on a '68 Barracuda. Doesn't fit the fader switch, but the shaft on the switch could be altered to fit. 4) '68 Barracuda cigar lighter knob, the same diameter and appearance as #3.
Bottom row: 1) Plastic bezel for 1971-74 B-Bodies, and probably many others. 2) Chrome metal bezel, unsure of application, but probably many. 3) Bezel 2426942, which is listed as the correct one in the parts book, and is the same as the one I posted in Post #5. I got it from Jack Koziol at Central Jersey Motor Parts. Great guy to deal with.
IMG_20221010_212336522.jpg

The owner's manual shows the fader switch to be mounted next to the lighter, but as shown above, it seemed to go wherever was convenient for the installer. This picture shows the knob to be the same as the lights, wipers, and lighter. That gives me more confidence that the knob in post #5 is correct. Just to find one! I'll put in an ad on the forums soon. I suppose finding the convertible top switch for a '68 Barracuda might be helpful. That may be my next help request.
IMG_20221010_211912893.jpg

My '68 Road Runner didn't have many options, but it did have a factory rear speaker. The bezel was in the dash and was like this, except no defogger.
7332899-000_0315.JPG

And more pictures of faders and mounting I found on the Googlewebs. The knob on my Road Runner was like the one on the far right in the first picture and the one in the second picture.
7329119-faders.JPG

7329129-DSC07267rss.jpg

Just like my '68 Road Runner dash.
7329122-1968-69b-bodyrearspeakerfaderswitch.jpg

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read through this. If you have a spare knob PN 2580253, please sell it to me! :thumbsup:

-
Back