Physics 2 (E&M) homework problem

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on here who's good at Physics 2 could help me out. I'm studying for a test over electric fields, Gauss's law, and electric potential and I'm stuck on a problem that I think is supposed to be Gauss but I'm not sure. Here's the problem:

"An infinitely long line charge that has a uniform linear charge density equal to -1.50 micro-Coulombs/m lies parallel to the y-axis at x = -2.00m . A positive point charge that has a magnitude equal to 1.30 micro-Coulombs is located at x = 1.00m, y = 2.00m. Find the electric field at x = 2.00m, y = 1.50m."

I started out by finding the distance from the point charge to the point of reference and then calculating the field due to the point charge but I don't know what to do with the line charge. Do I use a Gaussian surface (cylinder) to find the field on the reference point, or do I just use Coulomb's law because I don't have to find the electric field everywhere?

Well i had the wife setting here and i read her your problem and then i ask her if she had it figured out yet. With the grandson running around and 7 am with a cup of coffe in her hand she said, "Sure, Seems pretty basic" Just some good humor for the A.M. Good luck on it kid. Sorry to be of no real help but it really dont take a rocket scientist to keep a Mopar running, Thanks goodness.
Small Block

Good luck kid. I took college algebra twice, and only got a D. I was great at science until the math got too involved and I had to quit taking those classes too.

I took the test earlier today and thankfully there weren't any problems like that but it was still hard as SH*T. This is the first time in my life I'm going to have to study many days in advance before a test as I can't just rely on my "academic talent" any more. I just can't wait to get this electricity junk over with and move onto Physics 3. I wish my classes involved working on cars but you have to join an Automotive Engineers club for that...LOL

-
Back