Pick my turbo for a 360

-

Ori

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been thinking a lot on doing a turbo build. I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a turbo for my 360. Chinese or any other turbo. My 360 is a magnum that has rhs heads( big stainless valves), 750 dp, air gap intake, forged pistons with 9.5 compression, stock rods with arp bolts, mls head gaskets, 220 @ 0.50" and .540 lift cam,904 low gear set, 3000 stall and 4.10 gears.

I am thinking about getting magnum exhaust manifolds and flipping them. 2 1/4 cross pipe and 3" down pipe. I already have a a/f gauge, so that will come in handy when tuning. I have access to all the tig or mig welders and a cnc machine shop so there is no reason why I can't make this work ;)

My question is what turbo would you all recommend that starts spooling at around 3.5k on this 360? And would this be a healthy turbo setup?

Thanks! :)

Dude,
look around here and on www.theturboforums.com or www.yellowbullit.com
We have all asked this same question at one time. READ everything you can and get an idea of how to read a compressor map. There is plenty of info that will "help" you on your way. Get ahold of one of the turbo vendors to get an idea of what you need.
There has been plenty of threads involving turbo'd smallblocks just use the search bar at the top of either page.

Dude,
look around here and on www.theturboforums.com or www.yellowbullit.com
We have all asked this same question at one time. READ everything you can and get an idea of how to read a compressor map. There is plenty of info that will "help" you on your way. Get ahold of one of the turbo vendors to get an idea of what you need.
There has been plenty of threads involving turbo'd smallblocks just use the search bar at the top of either page.
Si....

I also agree to read as much as you can on turbos and other builds that are close to yours

Most turbos will spool sooner than that so spool shouldn't be an issue for you. The MP70 (.96 a/r), MP76 (.96 a/r), and Ebay GT45 (1.05 a/r) are all good choices and will spool plenty fast enough. You could even spool a Borg Warner S400 (1.32 a/r), which is a mid frame T6 flange turbo (ginormous and heavy, but popular), just fine with 360 cu/in.

What kind of power are you wanting to make?

I'm looking to make about 500hp. Right now I'm right at 365ish Hp in 8000 DA. I think I'm going to go with the s475 turbo 1.32 ar with the 4" downpipe going into a 3", easier to fit down the side on a a-body. I can do all of the fab work and I'll be using magnum manifolds.

-
Back