Picked Up A 70' Dart Swinger

-

426 dart

426 Dart
Reaction score
The wife and I went out and bought us a 70' Dart (for $500 from the original owner), for my 426 Max wedge engine which I am going to be installing. Can anyone advise me on an 8 3/4 rear end that will work for the Dart I just picked up. I am assuming the 7 1/4 rear that's in it will not hold up. I am also thinking of having a mini tub installed.

any advice?

misc033.jpg

misc031.jpg

misc029.jpg

misc030.jpg

misc032.jpg

Nice score for $500. Has the usual rust at the c pillar for vinyl top cars.

If you can't find an A body rear, the next best is a 66-67 B body rear, then a 68-70 B rear. You'll need a new/shorter driveshaft, too.

If you want a tutorial for mini tubbing, shoot me a PM with an e-mail address. I have a powerpoint presentation that someone else put together.

Welcome to swingers-ville
Picture004.jpg

100_0163.jpg

Nice find! For $500 bucks too. You lucky dog. Is it a running car?
what motor and trans is in it if so.

Good luck on your build.

If you can find a 65 B-body 8 3/4 rear, it fits perfectly. Be sure to get one without the bolt on the end.

If you can find a 65 B-body 8 3/4 rear, it fits perfectly. Be sure to get one without the bolt on the end.

Do you mean the one with the nut on the end of the axle? Can the axles be changed in these to the conventional style?

you do NOT want one with the nut. I have seen early 65's with the nut and late 65's without. You want the late 65 with out. I have one here in a 65 coronet wagon that I might part out. I will see if I can get a pic of it. Its kind of berried right now. But from what I have been told. The 65 8 3/4 is the same width as a a-body one.

The 65 ply rear is a little wider But it works with no prob.. I have one in a 73 dart sport car runs 10's rear is fine

nice find 426 dart.
Keep us update so we all can enjoy

we picked her up without an engine but she came originally with a slant six & auto trans

Ya want to find an 8 3/4" with either 742 or 489 as the last 3 numbers in the center section casting number. Here's a good link http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/21.html

The first time you plant the throttle with that 7 1/4 will be the last and ya may even kill off several small species of furry little animals with all the scrapnel.

Terry

Hey 426 Dart,

Nice pickup! I mean Dart... LOL!

It depends on how much you want to spend...

Moser sells 8 & 3/4 rear end housings and axles.....

Dana 60s, if you want to spend more... http://www.justrearends.com/

B body rear ends from 62-70 will require using off set shackles and moving in the spring perches.

I prefer 8 & 3/4 for easy changing of gears.

Hey 426 Dart,

Nice pickup! I mean Dart... LOL!

It depends on how much you want to spend...

Moser sells 8 & 3/4 rear end housings and axles.....

Dana 60s, if you want to spend more...

B body rear ends from 62-70 will require using off set shackles and moving in the spring perches.

I prefer 8 & 3/4 for easy changing of gears.

thanks for the info on www.justrearends.com.... my best bet is to order a dana 60 rear end from them since it seems they have everything i need: trac lock posi / gears / disc brakes / 35 spine axles & best of all it'll be ready to bolt right in! :toothy10:

-
Back