Picking the right clutch for my Duster

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting my winter project started and will be replacing my clutch and doing some transmission work. I have been doing some research on a clutch and I'm undecided so far. Do all diaphragm type pressure plates require removal of the clutch spring at the pedal assembly? Car is a 70 Duster 340. Hays, Zoom, Mcleod, Centerforce, RAM?......To many choices but I would rather keep the spring.

I can't say which one is best, but I run a Centerforce dual friction clutch. With my combination, I can't complain about it at all. My understanding is that with diaphragm style clutches it's preferred to have the pedal spring removed. I did on mine, no impact on pedal feel/force.

Getting my winter project started and will be replacing my clutch and doing some transmission work. I have been doing some research on a clutch and I'm undecided so far. Do all diaphragm type pressure plates require removal of the clutch spring at the pedal assembly? Car is a 70 Duster 340. Hays, Zoom, Mcleod, Centerforce, RAM?......To many choices but I would rather keep the spring.

You are better off running a clutch that doesn’t need the spring. Any time you can decrease plate load and still get the clutch to lock up it’s a good thing.

I can't say which one is best, but I run a Centerforce dual friction clutch. With my combination, I can't complain about it at all. My understanding is that with diaphragm style clutches it's preferred to have the pedal spring removed. I did on mine, no impact on pedal feel/force.
I put a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in a 70 GTO I had years ago and it worked great but the pedal felt like I was driving a Honda. I got used to it over time.

I put a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in a 70 GTO I had years ago and it worked great but the pedal felt like I was driving a Honda. I got used to it over time.
I think I know what you are talking about, somewhat of an all-or-nothing feel. I can't say mine feels like a Honda (My wife had a 5-speed accord, I hated that clutch feel, well the whole car with a passion).

Yes remove the spring for diaphragm or pedal may stick to floor. Some replace it with a much weaker hardware store spring.
Dan Brewer on here hopefully will jump in.

I don't know your horsepower level, but look at Ram clutch kits, they work really well.
I hate the centerforce in my Duster. I wish I would have spent less money and put a Ram clutch in it.

....To many choices but I would rather keep the spring.
IMO, I wouldn't think you want that heavy OC spring pressuring the diaphragm while it's trying to engage. If you're trying to keep the pedal coming back to the top over center, a lighter spring should work just fine. You'll still need to adjust to the point where the diaphragm gets to the over center so the spring pulls it up..

CF DF here too.

Why don't you want to remove the over spring?
I have an illness of keeping what came on my car on my car....hahaha....I know its no big deal to remove it and putting a spring in with much less tension seems like a great idea. We'll see when the time comes when my car is all back on the ground and the project is over. Now I just need to figure out which clutch package to get.

I like McLeod. My dad and I have used there stuff for years and years. I had a Centerforce DF in my 5.0 Mustang and hated it. It wanted to slip a lot (yes it was adjusted correctly) plus I've heard of those little weights coming loose and doing all kinds of harm.

I don't know your horsepower level, but look at Ram clutch kits, they work really well.
I hate the centerforce in my Duster. I wish I would have spent less money and put a Ram clutch in it.
Pretty close to stock 340 with 3.91's. I will take a look at Rams as well.

I run a ram competition series borg and beck style 10.5 it is the best clutch I have had in my setup in 20 years all the adjustments were perfect after bolting it in which hasn't been the case with the last four clutches they always seem to be right at the end of The adjustment rod. The plate pressure is a little heavy but I run 50 series 275 15 Nitto drag radials. I will buy another one!

-
Back