Picking up a 1964 Chrysler Saratoga 300

-
Hi. Nice find. I owned and drove one of these back in the mid eightys.
Mine was a 300 with the bucket seats and console. Was a really nice driver.
They had super touchy power brakes and steering with absolutely no road feel.
Steering was the only thing I didn't like. about the car. The 64 383 was a really great engine. 64 Chrysler had one of my favorite Mopar dash designs ever.

You got a real find there.My father had a 63 300. Saratoga's are sledom seen.Before Dad's 300 he had a 57 Saratoga that I would love to have today. It of course was traded in for the 300.My Mom still has the invoice they charged $50 to R&R the rear and install a suregrip in the 300 before taking delivery.

Is the accelerator pump working?

Well, when the engine is running, it'll rev up when the pedal is pushed. However, if I turn the engine off, and try to start it again with the key, it won't fire up, regardless if I give it gas or not. You have to manually put gas down the carb to get it to start.

I'll post a video of it running later.

look down the carb, without it running, and open the throttle a couple times - you should see a stream of fuel shoot into the venturis, this is the accelerator pump, and what "primes" the engine when you pump the gas pedal prior to starting. It sounds like, even though the carb is rebuilt, the accelerator pump isn't working - could be a blockage, check ball missing etc.

Hope this helps!

Got the car running and driving, but haven't had much time to work on it lately. I met a guy yesterday who was interested in buying my '65 Valiant, but then he saw this and was really into it. He has a '71 New Yorker, a '67 Newport, and a '65 Dart GT ragtop. He offered a trade for his low milage '67 383, chrome truck headers, a big block truck oil pan, a rebuild kit for the 383, and more. So I agreed to the trade since this car still needed an out of province inspection. So sometime this week it'll go and the engine will come. I plan on using the engine in my '66 W300.

-
Back