Pics from the Dukes Drive In show two weeks ago

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
God, I wish they had shows like that down here still! Great pics! Thanks for sharing the ****, Karl.

That's all folks:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4"]Porky Pig Cartoon Ending "That's All Folks!" - YouTube[/ame]

God, I wish they had shows like that down here still! Great pics! Thanks for sharing the ****, Karl.

Thanks.

Dukes used to be the place to cruise back in the 80's. They would literally pack over 1000 people on their little corner with hot rods filling the parking lots. It was featured in the top 10 best spots to cruise by Hot Rod/Car Craft back then. Now it is dead usually.

If your car was not "worthy" to park in the small lot, they would ostricize you until you moved it out to the side streets back then. People would hang out and check out the cars. Then it would progress to where they would start setting up races for the night.

Then after they closed at 10 PM then people would go out to one of the 4 "chosen" race spots (after a scout checked it out and radioed back if it was clear). Then everyone would gather at the spot and the racing would begin. Betting between the two cars racing, then all kinds of side bets between the spectaters.

The serious cars would hook up the exhaust and put street tires on to cruise to Dukes. Then line up their races for the night. After Dukes would close, they would go home and put on slicks and open headers and trailer them to the spots. These cars would run 10 seconds or better and run for a minimum of $2000 per race, sometimes more! The races would usually be between 1 AM - 2 AM in Matteson. The racers would show up and unload the cars off of the trailers, then race, and after that load the cars back on the trailers and get the f*ck out before the cops showed up. Man, it was crazy and fun back then!!!

Everyone would work on their cars all week and try to have them ready to cruise Dukes by Friday and Saturday. Oh the pressure! Everyone would look forward to the weekends so they could cruise if it didn't rain. Man, that was alot of fun...

thanks for the pics karl took me forever to load them but hay it was woth it lol

Your welcome. I thought that you guys would like them. It took me a while to download and "process" them so they could be posted. I had to work for a while and then take breaks until it was complete. :hello2:

Did you ovserve the spark plug wires on the 331 Hemi????

Good morning Karl :hello2: and thank you for sharing :thumblef: That 64 Dodge with Max Wedge get's my vote :cheers: and I believe that pinto is a Mustang II, if it's a pinto some one did a a bunch of good work to it :shock:

Good morning Karl :hello2: and thank you for sharing :thumblef: That 64 Dodge with Max Wedge get's my vote :cheers: and I believe that pinto is a Mustang II, if it's a pinto some one did a a bunch of good work to it :shock:

You're right. It is a Mustang II. I didn't look too closely at it when labelling it.

You're right. It is a Mustang II. I didn't look too closely at it when labelling it.

I was looking at it and did not realize how much they resemble each other :shock: I was saying..Man some one put a front cap off of a Mustang II and added it to a pinto and did the rear also :shock:.. :coffee2:

Thanks for posting the pix. Looks like an awesome show!
The GTO is a 65....my favorite year!!

George

Great Pics! I wish I could have made the show. It's great that Dukes is still kicking after all these years. Is the Drive-In next door still open?

Thanks for sharing,
Pat

Ya man, Dukes was the place back then. Archer Ave was always good for a race or two. And Skips up on North Ave was pretty cool too... I'm feeling old krazykuda.

Pat

Thanks.

Dukes used to be the place to cruise back in the 80's. They would literally pack over 1000 people on their little corner with hot rods filling the parking lots. It was featured in the top 10 best spots to cruise by Hot Rod/Car Craft back then. Now it is dead usually.

If your car was not "worthy" to park in the small lot, they would ostricize you until you moved it out to the side streets back then. People would hang out and check out the cars. Then it would progress to where they would start setting up races for the night.

Then after they closed at 10 PM then people would go out to one of the 4 "chosen" race spots (after a scout checked it out and radioed back if it was clear). Then everyone would gather at the spot and the racing would begin. Betting between the two cars racing, then all kinds of side bets between the spectaters.

The serious cars would hook up the exhaust and put street tires on to cruise to Dukes. Then line up their races for the night. After Dukes would close, they would go home and put on slicks and open headers and trailer them to the spots. These cars would run 10 seconds or better and run for a minimum of $2000 per race, sometimes more! The races would usually be between 1 AM - 2 AM in Matteson. The racers would show up and unload the cars off of the trailers, then race, and after that load the cars back on the trailers and get the f*ck out before the cops showed up. Man, it was crazy and fun back then!!!

Everyone would work on their cars all week and try to have them ready to cruise Dukes by Friday and Saturday. Oh the pressure! Everyone would look forward to the weekends so they could cruise if it didn't rain. Man, that was alot of fun...

Great Pics! I wish I could have made the show. It's great that Dukes is still kicking after all these years. Is the Drive-In next door still open?

Thanks for sharing,
Pat

Drive in next door? Dukes is the drive in there. Unless I'm missing something... The Gas City next door closed up in the 80's and Dukes bought the lot for more parking. Now the old Wendy's is closed and a fly-by-night used car dealer is there...

I hear ya about feeling old...

-
Back