PICS help identify this chunk section posi or not and value of it

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
So a buddy brings me over a center section for my 8 3/4
he says i have a 355 posi sitting in a bag all greased down ill sell you for your car.
I say well what posi is it theirs 3 kinds he cant answer that and i ask its a 355 not a 323 right he says yea 355. I then say case numbers please he says 489 case i say sweet

So it gets here gear says 323 and i count the teeth its a 323 and its not a posi that i can see maybe a limited slip or sure grip i think is what mopar calls it.

so i say you know this isint half of what you said it was he was shocked
and i told him not worth what your asking he says make me a offer
so what is this thing worth only good i think is that its a 489 case

chubs

Attachments

• dart 047.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 206
That's an open diff. If it's a 3.23 that is worth something, I suppose. 489 case is worth something. I have bought entire rear ends with that setup for a c note. Posi, limited slip and suregrip are one in the same.

First off Chevy's have Posi's. Mopars have either a open differential (which is what that one is) or they have one of 2 types of a sure grip.

If it doesn't have the gears you want or a sure grip it's only worth about $50-75. That's all I'd pay for it not having what I wanted.

A little schooling for ya on terms and operation. There are only 3 types of differentials from the factories that I know of. An open differential, A limited slip differential, or a locker. A Chevy "posi", a Mopar "sure grip" and a Ford "traction lok" are all types of limited slip differentials. All factory pass. car rearends had to have something that'd slip the inside wheel when you turn a corner or else it would be dangerous.

yea i didnt think this was a sure grip sense it has no springs cones or spool but just making sure and i can tell him what every one else says

And to add to the vocabulary for newer mopar, it's called an 'anti-spin' unit. or anti slip, now I can't remember, but that's what my Ram has in it. :)

yea i didnt think this was a sure grip sense it has no springs cones or spool but just making sure and i can tell him what every one else says

Offer him 50 bucks then strip it for parts, the pinion and crown gear stay together as they are a matched set and someone was on here a week ago looking for used side gears. The bare outer housing with bearing caps is probably worth $75.

-
Back