Pilot bearing for 5.7 Hemi Crank

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
I have a challenger 6spd going in to the 5.7 out of an 07 automatic Charger. I have the pilot bearing pn#53009180AB
Image00001.jpg

The bearing fits perfect on the input shaft, now is it a matter of removing the ring that I have pointed to in the picture? If so how do you go about this?

Image00002-1.jpg

Use a die grinder with a rotary file on the end. Very carefully cut through about 80% of the ring, then use a chisel to break the last 20%.

With a little luck you shouldn't even leave a score mark on the crank. Even if you leave a nick the crank or even grind a fairly big chunk out of the hole, it won't upset the balance since the material removed is so close to the centerline of the crank.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Nothing wrong with the grinder method but an alternitave , if you have a welder , wrap the flange of the crank with a damp cloth , then run 3 - 4 welds on the ring ,the ring will pull in or shrink as it cools . I used a TIG welder but if using MIG or stick apply grease to areas that you don't want weld spatter .

You can't pull it out with a slide hammer?

I have a slide hammer "foot" meant for pilot bushings that looks something like this: I think, made by Proto

31O9L7Ug%2B-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Well I tried the welding method and the grinding method (it was taking too long and was worried about following through. I couldn't get it to come out, so I ended up finding part of a puller assembly and welding a nut on to a small piece of steel plate and welding the steel plate to the inner edge of the bearing. A few turns later I could see it starting to come out and then plop, out she came.

Image00004-1.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Thanks for everyone for the advice. Love using these forums, so much knowledge and advice!

-
Back