Pin retainers

-

72Dinger

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share. The shiny new (taller) pin retainer is from Raybestos kit H7129 for 10x1.75" rear brakes. It was even shinier until it drug the inside of the drum. Took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from. Its why you always save the old hardware until after you complete the job!
20200418_135942.jpg

It didn't. Its taller/deeper and sticks out past the shoes when installed so it drug the inside of the drum. The other retainer is actually the pin spring backer but is the same depth as the old pin retainers I pulled off.

It didn't. Its taller/deeper and sticks out past the shoes when installed so it drug the inside of the drum. The other retainer is actually the pin spring backer but is the same depth as the old pin retainers I pulled off.[/QUOTE

Well that’s par for reproduction parts:lol:

Geez Louise! That's not good. Reproduction parts have me shaking my head sometimes. I'm going thru a similar issue with moog Ucp bushings i got the offset bushings installed in my control arms and moog has the pressed In spacers or washers. They are a ***** to get pressed in it took me forever to get them in it was harder than pressing in the damn bushing. Its impossible the keep them lined up and hold everything together and keep it straight while working the press (I'm using a ball joint press a hydraulic press may be easier idk) but I finally got them in and now the damn holes are to small my bolts wont go thru them. :BangHead: I tried drilling them out to make them bigger but then the spacer came out after I spent all that time pressing them in. I think I'm just gonna use washers as spacers and tose those stupid things

I recently went through the same issue. The pins in the hardware rebuild kit must be longer than what I originally used. I ended up putting a retainer behind the backing plate to take up the space. I ordered another hardware kit as well and the pins were the same length......to long. What should the shoe width be on a 70 340 Duster? Maybe that's the problem. I am still using the bell type drums.

My thinking is if you have 3 inch wide shoes maybe a hardware kit from a 2.5 inch wide kit would be just enough shorter. 2.5 wide use 2 inch or there abouts.

Unless you have owned or known the car it's entire life who knows what was changed along the way.

Also repos are only as good as the parts they copied or adapted

I have 1.75" shoes. The Raybestos kit was sold for 1.75. I didn't find any other incompatible parts. I figure they probably manufacturer 1 type of retainer and thats what goes in the bag at the factory.

-
Back