Pin type caliper anti rattle springs

-

Logan

Reaction score
I've got '71 Cuda pin type calipers on my '71 Dart. The calipers came from Rock Auto with a bent piece of wire that I installed. I didn't have the anti rattle springs that fit on the lower caliper bolts but didn't see this as a problem since Rick Ehrenberg in his Disc-o-tech article stated they could be discarded. Well, my calipers rattle like hell! I know its the calipers because when I ride the brakes lightly on a concrete highway the noise goes away. Lift off the pedal and there's a clunk at every seam in the road. Anyone have a solution? [I did notice once where repro springs are avail for something like $125 but I'll go to sliders before spending that kind of $]

I know there are two deals that go on the pins [like between the pin head and the caliper itself] {keeping the caliper tight against the rotor I assume} and the wire [it needs to be installed correctly. I dont know why they would cost that much. If you could find a set of pins, would they not come with them? Other than that, dont know what to tell you. You got to have good pins and make sure the front bearings are tight. If the bearings have any play they will cause the pads to spread and the clearance will could cause rattling. Im surprised the calipers did not come with the hardware. Good luck. {might try to reduce the clearance between the pin and the pads but I do not know the best way to go about this}.

I just took of my OEM K-H calipers and they did not have the wire type springs.

The replacements from rockauto came with them but there was no diagram for installation, so I left them off.

Mine came with new pins, but they sent two different style calipers.

I'd like to see a pic of the "springs" installed.

it's not super intuitive.

-
Back