Pinging

-

alwaysamopar

Reaction score
Any suggestions on where i can look to figure out the pinging on my slant six I tried backing off the timing with no luck It still pings Will a colder plug help?Engine temp seems fine too

They used to blame pinging on low octane ... don't know (in this age of crappy gas) whether that's still a consideration, but you might try some 91-93 if you can find it.

Water or trans fluid dripped down the carb while reving it 2500+ should knock the carbon off the pistons, not to much fluid though and be prepared for lots of white smoke. However This can some times cause larger pieces of carbon to get stuck on the valve seat burning it, but rarely.
If it pings that bad you can bet octane alone will not fix it, the carbon is glowing like a 'glow plug' igniting the fuel before the spark.

Iv heard of the carbon cleaning before but forgot about it Ill try the water and some higher octane I dont know the history of this motor but doesnt seem to have many miles on her Shes really clean externally and under the valve cover Thanks

-
Back