pinion angle help . under car now

-

moparisbest

Reaction score
Ok let me get this strait duster 440 4speed . . I read i should set the rear end angel at 6 ° down correct ? So if the trans is at 0° then i should go down 6 ° from zero correct ?

Pinion angle is relative, under normal load you want to create an ellipse, where operating angles are equal, but opposite from each other.

Most trans are 2-3 down, axle wrap lifts, number I'm not sure about but the 5-7 range sounds right, I'm sure some one will chime in. 2-4 down is a safe bet, it also depends on if your a drag racer or not.

If you do a search it will show you want you need to see.

I'm using angel finder on my phone it says the trans is at zero 0 so I was thanking to put the rear 6 below zero anyone can help . Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if I'd trust a phone for this, I'd go borrow an actual angle finder from home depot or the like.

I'm not sure if I'd trust a phone for this, I'd go borrow an actual angle finder from home depot or the like.

I did buy a cheap angle finder and it reads the same as my phone . So I know it rite might try the angle finder app on your smart phone . It's really nice and free . Lol

Right on, I'd still do 2-4 down to be conservative. Since most trans are down 2-4 most rear ends are 2-4 down, since your at 0, 0-2 would do it for you. It's recommended car is weighted on suspension, driver weight in the seat road ready before reading and setting this.

Here is a good article on the subject:

Ray Currie of Currie Enterprises, which specializes in rearends and rear suspension systems for race, street, and off-road applications, agrees that pinion angle is a pretty simple (there’s that word again) concept. He explains that a universal joint is designed to handle between 1 and 3 degrees of pinion angle. This is a safe operating range for the U-joint. If the U-joint is forced beyond its normal range, it can hyperextend and lead to catastrophic failure. Currie always strives for 2 degrees of pinion angle on a street car regardless of the type of rear suspension being used.

Read more: http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/#ixzz2QNuCgr93

OOPS did not see the post above mine........ I will leave it anyway

If you have an Iphone you can download a Degree finder app for FREE!

Nobody mentioned that your suspension needs to be LOADED. Car on the ground on all 4's. I usually back the car up a bit and stab the throttle then coast to a stop if the car was up in the air. To get totally technical you should be sitting in the Driver Seat too and have someone else help you.

-
Back