pinion angle Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart stock car. 360/904 8&3/4 high banked 1/3 mile dirt track. after I get the pinion angle where I want it (going by a utube vid) how many additional degrees downward should I set it to compensate for pinion rise on acceleration? and what is the diameter of the main center thru bolt that holds the leafs together? thank you for your time. RR EDIT also I have put cement blocks on the trunk lid to equal 9/10th of a full load of gas in the fuel cell and my weight on the seat. in the rear it is supported on the axle with jack stands and in the front under the frame rails with jack stands. My Q is this OK in the front or do I need to have the weight on the LCA's like it would be ready to race, not sure if this is my OCD talking or not! the car does appear to be pretty level I just dont have my wheels/tires ready to go on. thank you.

Last edited:
You would not ad any additional,once set at the proper angle.Usually 3 to 5 degrees negative (down) at running weight.

U need all 4 wheels on the ground/floor or on a 4 post drive on hoist. Or put jack stands under the rear diff and front lower control arms. Simply speaking the weight of the car has to be on all 4 wheels/tires.Leaf spring thru bolt is 3/8s diameter U want your pinion to be atleast 3* lower than the rear of the trans. Kim

Last edited:
Good info Kim, much appreciated. the 3/8 I needed that to get some longer ones. right now the jack stands are under the 8&3/4 & on the front subframe(s). the car does appear to be level or real close to it. With cement blocks I have my weight on the seat & 9/10 of a full fuel cell of gas weight amount on top of the trunk.

-
Back