Pinion angle question???

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I have a 67 Plymouth Barracuda with 8.75 rear end and was wondering if anyone knew the correct pinion angle. I'm thinking 3 to 6 nose down.

I'm fixing to tack weld the perches today or tomorrow and need know for sure!

In the instruction for the Mopar Spring Relocation Kit it says 5-6 degrees nose down.
5 degress with auto
6 degress with stick

Good luck

As I remember it is 1-4 degree. 6 sounds like to much, but hopefully someone will check in that has a better recollection then I have. If not, when I get home I have the old D/C notes that discuss it.

As I remember it is 1-4 degree. 6 sounds like to much, but hopefully someone will check in that has a better recollection then I have. If not, when I get home I have the old D/C notes that discuss it.

OH NO!

Now I'm not sure again!

Technically not a double post...Valiant65's info seem more substantiated then mine. The info. that I'm refering to is from tech. notes on setting up S/S springs from 30 years ago...and I have not looked at them in years. I still am going to check just to see how good my memory is...of course I am a legend in my own mind...\\:D/

Technically not a double post...Valiant65's info seem more substantiated then mine. The info. that I'm refering to is from tech. notes on setting up S/S springs from 30 years ago...and I have not looked at them in years. I still am going to check just to see how good my memory is...of course I am a legend in my own mind...\\:D/

I did some searching last night and all I found was a fellow said he sets his up at 3 to 6 and drivetrain torque should take of the rest. ??

So I'm just trying to a accountable figure.

that should work fine. you can always shim either way if needed

You will be fine with 6 degree, I will go for 5 degree with my auto.
In the end we will se if it's 4 or 6 degree since it's not so easy to be exact correct when measuring...

Just to really figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, after thinking a little more about this there are a couple a variables that never seem to come into play when thinking of pinion angle. First the main purpose of pinion angle is nothing more then getting/keeping the needle bearings rotating in the u-joints. The other way to do this is how Ford does it, and have different length/off-set axles. The other key point, at least in my mind, is how stout of rear springs you have in the rear or are you running 4-link/Cal-Trac's, S/S springs, etc. In my way of thinking the more critical question isn't 4deg or 6deg, but how much natural axle wrap is taking place on a day-to-day basis. If you plan to drag race the car you would be looking for as little pinion angle as possible...at full song. Another way to think about this, though not directly, is the purpose of a pinion snubber is to keep pinion angle at zero, or a little less. That is why when we were running Super Stock (SS/EA) back in the 70's we didn't utilize pinion snubbers, because the springs accounted for what was desired. In the end I'm sure 4-6deg will be fine, and Val65 is correct as it is hard to get it exact....

-
Back