Pinion angle question

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I have the rearend in the car I got the leaf springs bolted in and the rearend setting on the arches not welded on yet. Can set the pinion angle here like it is? Just put my protractor on the pinion set it and weld the arches? Or does there need to be weight on the springs?

20200503_154235.jpg

20200503_152159.jpg

20200503_152152.jpg

20200503_152214.jpg

20200503_152206.jpg

There needs to be weight on the springs and the car should be relatively to be close to its final ride height. If it isn’t the pinion angle you set and the angle it’s at when it’s sitting on it’s wheels won’t be the same.

There needs to be weight on the springs and the car should be relatively to be close to its final ride height. If it isn’t the pinion angle you set and the angle it’s at when it’s sitting on it’s wheels won’t be the same.
So I need to mock up my ubolts bolt everything together and lower it down check it again. Ok thanks I'm gonna have to get my tires on my rims then lol
Another question my leaf springs move side to side about a 1/2 inch or so is it ok to push them over as far to the center as I can to help with tire clearance or will that cause wear on the bushings and springs?

So I need to mock up my ubolts bolt everything together and lower it down check it again. Ok thanks I'm gonna have to get my tires on my rims then lol
Another question my leaf springs move side to side about a 1/2 inch or so is it ok to push them over as far to the center as I can to help with tire clearance or will that cause wear on the bushings and springs?

Support it with blocks under the springs where the stud is that holds the spring pack together.
Then move the diff and perches it to where you want it and tack the perches on.
That's what I did and it worked fine.

As far as the car being level, just go off your trans pan rail or output shaft housing end and subtract your preferred pinion angle off of that.

You could turn the car on it's side and still know where the perches go for angle.:D

Support it with blocks under the springs where the stud is that holds the spring pack together.
Then move the diff and perches it to where you want it and tack the perches on.
That's what I did and it worked fine.

As far as the car being level, just go off your trans pan rail or output shaft housing end and subtract your preferred pinion angle off of that.

You could turn the car on it's side and still know where the perches go for angle.:D
Where abouts should i set it? Iv heard 3-6 down? That sound about right? I don't have a transmission or engine it's on blocks all the way around

Where abouts should i set it? Iv heard 3-6 down? That sound about right? I don't have a transmission or engine it's on blocks all the way around

I think 3 down is normal and I know 6 is too much.

The general rule of thumb is 5* pinion nose up from the spring perches. Here's how I do it. Get some concrete blocks and stack them right there the perches will be. Make sure the blocks are level front to back and side to side. Place the perches on the blocks the same width it will be in the car. What is it? 43"? Now, measure to get the rear end the same distance front the backing plates to the perches on both sides. Finally, position the rear end 5* nose up with the pinion center line. Weld away. You want nose UP just considering the rear axle by itself, even though it will end up nose DOWN in relation to the transmission.

No. You position the pinion nose up. Nose down refers to the pinion's relationship to the transmission output shaft.

Don't know if you saw it or not, but I just did a 8.25 and 8.75
Believe me, 6 is too much and you would feel it through the whole car at cruise.

Rusty, I think the "nose up" is when you set the rear end and pinion at zero (like out of the car on stands) then weld the perches on nose up because when on the springs it noses down 6 degrees if I remember correctly.
Mine ended up at 3 all put together and on the ground and is about perfect.

Which means I agree with you in the first sentence of post 9.

Last edited:
That's what he's doing. Or should be doing.

Yup, about 3 degrees nose up and we can see that angle here (nose up compared to the perches.)
Once on the springs it should end up about 3 down, because I remember being mounted on the springs it was a 6 degree change from 3 up to 3 down on the car.

I'm making this more confusing aren't I?:D

12029221_10153324394218401_912454634_n.jpg

Don't know if you saw it or not, but I just did a 8.25 and 8.75
Believe me, 6 is too much and you would feel it through the whole car at cruise.

Rusty, I think the "nose up" is when you set the rear end and pinion at zero (like out of the car on stands) then weld the perches on nose up because when on the springs it noses down 6 degrees if I remember correctly.
Mine ended up at 3 all put together and on the ground and is about perfect.

Which means I agree with you in the first sentence of post 9.
I quotes the wrong person lol so I can set the pinion at zero with the car elevated and it will end up 6 down? Is that what your saying ? So if I go 3 up it will be 3 down? Correct?
I want to set the pinion angle to where I can upgrade to ss springs in the future without redoing the arches. I wanted to replace them now but just cant afford it at the moment so I'm gonna wait and just use the springs on it for now. What pinion angle do you recommend for the 2 inch espo springs?

Yea I just saw that post somehow I missed it sorry! Gosh damnit I gotta pull that heavy bastard out again! Smh

You don't HAVE to, but it sure is easier to do that way.

I guess I should have posted this before I put it in haha i had to get it measured for the side side anyway.

Now some people center it up in the wheel wells. I don't like doing it like that. I prefer to get the perches the same distance from the backing plates on either side.

Now some people center it up in the wheel wells. I don't like doing it like that. I prefer to get the perches the same distance from the backing plates on either side.
That's what I did I put the rear end on top of the arches and measured for the arch to the backplate till it was the same on both sides. There is some side to side play in the leafs should I just push both side inwards till the stop and measure again from there?

Also will the 5 degree up still be fine when I get my new leaf springs?

I'd wait till you have the engine and trans in the car. That way you can set the pinion angle relative to the output shaft of the transmission and not an arbitrary number that may get you close, but may also not.

-
Back