Pinion shaft seal replacement

-

A/C guy

Reaction score
Ok, I need some help. 68 Dart GTS, 340. Can someone confirm correct torque spec. for pinion shaft nut? I think it is 230 ft. lbs., but not sure. Does it need to be torqued to this value, or can I follow some youtube videos where they mark the shaft & nut where they tighten the nut with an impact wrench the same number of turns and align the marks so it is back to original position. (Makes me a little nervous to do it this way without some input).

Also replacing the transmission rear seal at the same time.

It depends on what carrier, crush sleeve or shim ?

Right.Need to know what carrier you have.741, 742 or 489 ? The 489 case, many do as you described from the You Tube video.The 489 has a crush sleeve to set pinion depth.Also a good idea when doing that is to use Lock Tite RED on the nut threads.If 741 or 742 Torque away !

best to use a new lock nut to! a lose pinion shaft can be pain to detect had me scratching my head why i keept chunking drive shafts till i found it, a wounder it didnt explode my rear end with pinion gear backing up in to the sure grip unit!

Right.Need to know what carrier you have.741, 742 or 489 ? The 489 case, many do as you described from the You Tube video.The 489 has a crush sleeve to set pinion depth.Also a good idea when doing that is to use Lock Tite RED on the nut threads.If 741 or 742 Torque away !

OK, I scrubbed off some of the oil crud from the carrier and found it's a 742. So, it should be torqued. Anybody know what the correct value is?

-
Back