Pinion Snubber ?

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Would like to hear from those of you who run a adjustable pinion snubber on the street.

Do you like it on your street car ?

How far from the floor do you have it adjusted ?

Do you have one on a daily driver?

All comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
John

Mine is very close to the floor. 1/8th +/-. I have had it on and off... I notice very little difference if any in normal driving.

Mine rarely hits. It will pound the brace if you have people in the back seat.

That's the nice thing about an adjustable. You can back it off when not required.

Mine rarely hits. It will pound the brace if you have people in the back seat.

That's the nice thing about an adjustable. You can back it off when not required.

Mine is backed down all the way and it is about maybe 3/4" from the floor.
I guess the reason it is that close is I lowered the back 1" with the front spring hangers.

Guess I will have to try it and see if it is worth it or not.

I was fortunate enough to have known Ronnie Sox back in the late '60s and into the mid '70s and I got to crew a few times. I was always interested in the rear suspensions. In the early days of the SS/A cars and Pro Stocks, they ran the super stock leaf springs with a special arch and a bias of leaves that made the front half of the spring far stiffer and even more so on the right side. Ronnie always set his snubber up with one inch of gap with him in the car and the tank full of fuel. He was happy with it when he drive out of the water and give it a quick dry hop. If the front wheels lifted about an inch, he'd give a thumbs up. I have run adjustable snubbers on many a street Mopar with the gap and I have also used them on stock springs and touching the pan with me in the car. I didn't see any appreciable difference. I never liked the factory rubber bumper though. The best one to use is one of the rear bumpers from a Ford Aerostar van. They are a tall cone and very tough and they are very forgiving on bumps. No matter if you have gap or not, you can tell if it is working: On an automatic car, simply power brake it and see if the body lifts. On a stick car with a line lock you can do the same thing loading the clutch. Without a line lock, do a quick snatch with a clutch and have an observer check for rise at the rear wheel opening. Have fun!
Pat

Thanks Pat,
Great story with the great Ronnie Sox !!

Anybody else running these on the street ?

Like em Dont like em?

Just the stock one. I had one of the screw type adjustable ones on a customers 70 dart and the thing hit alot and was annoying.

I run one, 1/2" clearance with me in it and don't notice it till I stomp it, works just fine, no bunny hop which is why it's there.

Terry

-
Back