pipe exspanshion

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Does it matter if the pipe is exspanded to let anouther pipe fit in or can the end of my muffler be exspanded to alow the pipe to slide in.I am working with 2/1/2 inch pipe.i just bought 10 foot of flexable pipe to make up a template than i will take the pipe to a shop were they can bend the pipe the same as the template.Any thoughts

Actually, if you were to go the parts store and buy an aftermarket exhaust system, for, say, a Honda Accord EX, you'd find that the parts, going from front to back are "swedged" or "expanded" to allow the preceeding piece to slide inside the next one to be clamped. All air/hydraulic pipe benders, such as the ones an exhaust shop will have such a device to "swedge" open a part. This makes the parts easier to clamp or weld together. So, if you want the exhaust shop to "swedge" open the exhaust pipe to fit over the muffler or vice versa, go for it.

most of the universal mufflers are actualy measured as I.D internal diameter meaning exhaust and tail pipes will fit inside the tubes on the muffler since the pipes are measured O.D but its not a problem for any mufflershop to just expand the pipes to the size you will need if needed, there is two ways of doing it for "even sizes" like 2 ,2 1/4 or 2½ or 3" id the tubing can be swadged wish means they can be deaply expanded to give alitle more room for error since there is alitle more adjustability being able to adjust lenght alitle but it requiers that you have enough distans from last bend to be able to clamp the pipe, the other way is to simply expand the tubing wish can be done to any odd size you want to but the expansion will in most cases never go deaper than 2" wish is just whats needed but dont leave as much room for error, it is possible to expand a pipe very close to a bend and even alitle into the bend but that may alter the bend slightly and if its a big bend and the weld in the pipe is not laid over the right way and or just to hard the pipe may split when being expanded..
hope this helped alitle and wasnt to confusing

-
Back