Pistol Grip handle mounting?

-

got6pak

Reaction score
I did do a search for Pistol Grips in an A-Body and know which one to use, but what I can't find is how it mounts to my factory shifter. Doesn't the factory hurst shift handle have the slip in mount or are some the bolt in? If I have the slip in mount do I need a new shifter assemble that has the bolt in mount for the shift handle?

The slip in pistol grip handle was the early design ending around 1970....You can drill the handle to make it a bolt in.

I had to grind a little off the shifter to make it fit front to back .

I need to clarify my question, I meant the Hurst shifter assembly itself in my 69' Barracuda only accepting a slip in shift handle. The B-Body pistol grips I've seen are all bolt in and I believe my 69' Barracuda has the hurst shifter with the slip in shift handle. Do I just drill the two holes in my shifter assembly to accommodate the shift handles two bolt holes?

You could drill the shift box, but I've read that the shifter won't stay tight. The later bolt in style pistol grips have serrations...

Might be better off finding a used slip in handle on the net....

The pistol grip shifter in my 69' bee is slip in

Ok, I used the slip in clips & rubber to fit for side to side play. Ground a little bit off the front of brand new shifter so it would fit in front to back, and drilled a hole through the outer casing to put a pin through to keep it from pulling out. Works great - looks great
OR spend a bunch of money at brewers and Wayne will fix you up - lol

Ok, I used the slip in clips & rubber to fit for side to side play. Ground a little bit off the front of brand new shifter so it would fit in front to back, and drilled a hole through the outer casing to put a pin through to keep it from pulling out. Works great - looks great
OR spend a bunch of money at brewers and Wayne will fix you up - lol

$22 in parts for a proper fix, to me it is well worth it.

$22 in parts for a proper fix, to me it is well worth it.

I know its not much money and as a 4 speed guy myself I've had Wayne fix me up more than once. Lol
i have a hard time spending on something I can do myself let alone cyber spending other people's money.
With that said your right it's the correct way to install the shifter. On the other hand my car is more drag racer and I have fun making things worse oops I mean work. :burnout:

-
Back