Piston height question w/x-heads

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Pistons are L2316 TRW flat tops - installed they're about .035 above deck. I noticed in the Edelbrock build-up in Mopar Muscle with these pistons, they shaved .035 with the Edelbrock heads - I'm assuming giving them around 0 deck height. Anyway, the pistons I'm pulling out are ancient TRW domed slugs, pop way out so I (and machine shop) assumes no issues with the flat tops with my X heads. Comp ratio calculates to 9.7:1. Anybody have any experience with these pistons ? - they seem to be pretty popular tho heavy. Decks untouched as far as I know. I'm going to build this myself and would do a piston-valve clearance check if I thought necessary (never done it before). Any recommendations on head gaskets other than what comes in the rebuild kit (FelPro or .....?)

Pistons are L2316 TRW flat tops - installed they're about .035 above deck. I noticed in the Edelbrock build-up in Mopar Muscle with these pistons, they shaved .035 with the Edelbrock heads - I'm assuming giving them around 0 deck height. Anyway, the pistons I'm pulling out are ancient TRW domed slugs, pop way out so I (and machine shop) assumes no issues with the flat tops with my X heads. Comp ratio calculates to 9.7:1. Anybody have any experience with these pistons ? - they seem to be pretty popular tho heavy. Decks untouched as far as I know. I'm going to build this myself and would do a piston-valve clearance check if I thought necessary (never done it before). Any recommendations on head gaskets other than what comes in the rebuild kit (FelPro or .....?)

They should work fine. X heads have zero quench area, and the factory 10.5:1 compression pistons are above the deck about the same amount with the factory shim gaskets (around 0.015)which are much thinner than the common felpro replacement gaskets (around 0.038 to 0.042).

They should work fine. X heads have zero quench area, and the factory 10.5:1 compression pistons are above the deck about the same amount with the factory shim gaskets (around 0.015)which are much thinner than the common felpro replacement gaskets (around 0.038 to 0.042).

I agree. The reason they were shaved for the Edelbrocks is because the Edelbrocks were probably the closed chamber style so the positive deck pistons would not work with those heads. X-heads are open chamber and designed for the piston to stick up above deck.

-
Back