Pitman arm puller size question

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
I'm disassembling my 1967 Dodge Dart 270 (225cid L6 with power steering) and I need to pull the pitman arm in order to get the steering box out. After fighting with the stupid thing with a pickle fork for nearly an hour, I decided I'd get my hands on a pitman arm puller and do it the right way. (FWIW, the front suspension is going to be rebuilt anyway, so damage isn't a huge concern of mine.) I asked a buddy who works at a shop if I could borrow a pitman arm puller and he said, "Sure. What size do you need?"

A few days ago, I had no idea that this tool even existed, much less came in different sizes. What size pitman arm puller do I need for my stock '67 Dart 270?

Thie one on the left is the one I use. Auto zone lend them.
6cf7f3cf.jpg

Gearwrench 3917D Tie Rod End Puller & Pitman Arm

I tried a 3 jaw heavy duty puller on mine and couldn't budge it. Tried heat and pickle fork also with same result. I finally uses a 4" angle grinder with a cut off wheel to split it. Two more splits later
(Total of three) I was finally able to get the dang thing off with a 2# hammer to help.
Yote

I have pulled mine off my 67 a couple of times with puller from O'Rieleys or Auto Zone with no issues. Most of these places with let you barrow them with a deposit.

-
Back