Plan of attack?

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
Ok, so. I'm sitting here thinking about the things that need done to the signet and realize that the best angle is to plan out a flow for the work. I'll list out the things that need done, in no particular order. I would like some of your wisdom, experience and input in laying out what jobs will be best to start first and which are to be left for later.

And here we go;
1. Remove motor/trans
2. Pull interior. Not carpet unless it is NOT glued to the floor.
3. Remove wiring, and I’m talking all of it. Headlight to tail light. I do NOT want to put work into this car just to have it burn to the ground because I was lazy and trusted nearly 50 year old wiring...
4. Patch trunk extensions/bottom of qtr. panels
5. Brake lines pulled and cleaned, reuse or should i bend new?
6. Fuel, lines pulled an cleaned, also reuse or bend new?
7. There is a leak at the front passenger firewall, i don't know what is causing it whether it be wipers arm seals, rotted cowl or leaking windshield stripping.
8. I have a 4-speed from a 64 cuda along with the z-bar and most of the things that I need to convert from the 904.

I will need some things, and have no problem buying what I need as time goes, need for parts arise.

The motor currently in the car will be going back in and it was what the 4-speed had mated to previously, so yes it does have the correct crank for the Trans.9. Stronger rear, the 7 1/4 won’t cut the mustard... Would love to get a good solid 8 3/4, but let’s be honest, they are expensive and I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of 4k dumps on the street. Would love to stay all MoPAR, but an 8.8 from a ranger fully set with rear discs in obtainable for under 700 around here.

I’ll move the springs inboard while the work for the rear happens.This is what I can think of right now. Are there other things that I can/should do while in any of these particular areas? My goal is to get her back on the street, I don’t need to race it or win any car shows. Also if there are recommendations to what aftermarket parts to use, or tools that make any of these jobs easier, then please do mention that also.

BTW, there is no Time frame for completion here. This is going to be what I do when mommas home with the boy and I can tinker.

Useless reply. Formatting on my other computer went haywire for some reason.

When I bought my 65 it was a mystery as to whether it would run and drive after sitting for 5-6 years. Fortunately the Slant was in good shape and just needed some minor repairs and a new battery to get started. After I knew the engine would run, the trans would shift and the brakes would brake I focused on getting the car safe and road worthy so I could 1.) enjoy driving it while working on it and 2.) because I don't have all of the tools and know-how to do all of the work, so sometimes I need to drive it somewhere to be worked on. I also don't like to introduce too many new variables at the same time. Old engineering habits I guess.

This was my plan of attack and execution;

1.) New gas tank and pickup. Bought off of Ebay. Easy swap. I blew out the fuel line and put in a new filter and fuel pump.
2.) Plugs, oil, run the valve lash, new timing chain, set timing. This was all done to get the Slanty spinning again.
3.) Brakes- I installed the Scarebird front disc brake conversion, a dual reservoir master cylinder and bought different lengths of off-the-shelf brake line from NAPA Auto and carefully hand bent everything to fit. I was able to get the right lengths to run all new brake line for the front brakes and to the backs using a compression fitting to join two pieces together on the back brake run. I also installed a factory style proportioning valve. Brakes now work awesome. I love good braking capability.
4.) Rebuilt the Holley 1920. It's still running a little rich but I'll resolve that little bug when I pull the whole thing out and replace it with a small block : )
5.) New seat belts, installed an anchor system to mount my son's child seat in the back. Family has to enjoy the car also to appreciate the work you are putting into it and the time away you are spending from them : )
6.) 14" steelies and new tires all the way around. Safety factor again.
7.) A few other bugs that have popped up as I drive it such as a bad voltage regulator but no real show stoppers.
8.) Welded in subframe connectors. Safety and ride improvement.

Long term I'm pulling out the slant for a 360/727 combo I'm building along with an 8 3/4 and working on the body for fresh paint but I still plan on driving and enjoying the car until it's time for the transplant.

So my philosophical plan of attack is to approach it as a series of small projects, mostly one at a time, but some are done in parallel. Get the car safe and road worthy so you can enjoy it at the same time that you expose new little gremlins and squash them. So, with the car running/driving you can still work on the interior, do paint and body, tackle small electrical projects (I wouldn't rip out the entire electrical harness and rewire from scratch), do brakes and suspension items, etc.

Take your time...enjoy the journey.

-
Back