Planning to restore factory AC one day

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can I use a 3 groove crank pulley now and run the car without the factory AC compressor temporarily? Then put the compressor one day and have the 3 groove crank pulley already on the motor?

Why would it make a difference?

What year is the engine? The A/C compressor on most 67-up has the alt brackets built in and may cause a location issue if you don't use the factory bracket. pic #1 and #3 is 67-9 and pic #2 is 70-up. It may require you to add washers/spacers and a longer bolt to get it where it needs to be. It's a trial and error thing.

Picture 691.jpg

Picture 1248.jpg

Picture 948.jpg

What year is the engine? The A/C compressor on most 67-up has the alt brackets built in and may cause a location issue if you don't use the factory bracket. pic #1 and #3 is 67-9 and pic #2 is 70-up. It may require you to add washers/spacers and a longer bolt to get it where it needs to be. It's a trial and error thing.

View attachment 1715018233

View attachment 1715018234

View attachment 1715018235
It's a 74 318 block. And I have an amazing desire for my car to look like this.

IMG_5919.JPG

You would need different (shorter) belts, and you would need to remove the A/C compressor (you can't just bypass it)

But in short, yes

You would need different (shorter) belts, and you would need to remove the A/C compressor (you can't just bypass it)

But in short, yes
I've got a 69 Chevelle A/C car and have been running without a compressor for years. It has a three groove pulley on the crank, it shouldn't matter.

I just figure while there is no radiator in the car I can get the 3 groove crank pulley on the motor so when I do get to the AC setup I won't need to do that at least

-
Back