Plasma cutter to borrow/rent in S.SF Bay/Santa Cruz?

-

Shishaldin

Reaction score
Hi Guys-

I'm really tired of drilling out spot welds to get the sheetmetal off of the parts car I have, and I still need to get the old floor pan and trunk pan out of my '65 Valiant convertible. Don't quite have the beans to buy one outright, so I thought I'd ask my fellow FABO crew if they had one I could borrow (with a big favor owed in return :) ) or rent, somewhere in my neighborhood around Santa Cruz to the South Bay of SF. I know my way around one of these because I've taken welding classes, and found out how *great* they are at shortening the time needed to work with sheet metal. I was planning on being out at the garage Sat and Sun, so if you can spare your plasma cutter this weekend, let me know. Thanks in advance!

I need to get a hold of one soon also to cut rear Qtrs. I checked out Flea Bay, WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!! I am going to try to call around some tool rental places and see if I can rent one.

Check Craigslist

I got a small Miller plasma for right at $400. It was used about 3 Hours.

I used a die grinder, for the 1/4. Harbor freight has quality cheap spot -weld removing bits. like under $10; 2 did my whole car.

dustermaniac: My local tool rental places acted like I was asking for medical equipment. Weird. I would think that these would be one of the hot items for tool rental outfits to have. Liability, maybe?

crackedback: Yeah, I'd looked around craigslist, too, but even $400 is out of my price range (for now, anyway). I saw brand new Chinese Longevity plasma cutters going for $399 with a 5 year warranty there...

green1: Yep, I've got those, too, and they're totally cheap. I'm just *tired* of doing it that way :sleepy3:.

Thanks guys...

Not just that but using a die grinder is so labor intensive vs a plasma cutter. The plasma cutter also allows you to cut cleanly and not cause more damage or buckling of the quarter. I will try to rent one out here in North Carolina. Maybe you can find one out here if enough people see the post.

-
Back