Plastic hood scoop painting question

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I am helping a friend install those aftermarket twin hood scoops on his 71 dart. I have done a lot of painting, but I have never painted anything like these plastic hood scoops. I am going to paint them and the entire hood with semi gloss black urethane. I was wondering if anyone here had painted those hood scoops before. Since his hood is already semi gloss black (but lots of scratches), I was planning on just sanding it smooth and spraying it with the semi gloss black. I was wondering if I could just paint the hood scoops with the semi gloss black urethane after scuffing them with 400 grit sandpaper? I would never spray bare metal with paint, but I was thinking spraying the scuffed up plastic hood scoops with urethane without any primer would be OK. Or should I spray some primer on them?

I believe your catalyzed with a hardener flat black will stick better to the plastic than a gray primer that is mainly ment for bare metal not plastics.

The hardener gives it a more flexible finish.

They do make flexible additives for plastic flex bumpers, but those need to flex a lot more than your hood scoops.

Do you mean a paint job like this?

20200914_180420.jpg

Good question, I think I would use a plastic etching paint, or a prep wipe that is made to shoot your paint on.

I have painted plastic bumpers back 20 years ago and they had a prep wipe and adaptive for your paint I believe.... I would wait for someone that has done this lately.

Just normal prep work. Same as if you were doing sheet metal.

20190626_160741.jpg

Any place that sells Ditzler paint. Hot Rod Black is the most common paint on the new cars with Flat Black hoods. Not getting into the topic of original Chrysler paint. Currently the price of the old stuff is running $250 for a 1/2 pint. And it's 50 year old paint still. I forget the exact price of just the paint because I had other supplies in the order. Spray it on thicker than normal. It will look blotchy the first 2 coats. Gotta trust me. After it drys over nite. You will have perfect results.

I always sealed my plastic with PPG DP 40 with the 401 hardener . There are lots of paints today and plastic primer.

-
Back