plastic speedo lens

-

mikess68

Reaction score
have some overspray on the speedo lens. is laq thinner safe to wipe off? or what could i polish it off with?

3M makes a plastic polish that is good for clear lenses and a variety of other plastics. Laquer thinner should take off the overspray and then polishing the lense will really make a difference. I used it on all my taillight lenses and pillar mouldings and it really makes it pop. Geof

Do not use the thinner on the plastic, if it does melt it, it will turn it white/cloudy.
Try using rubbing alcohol or regular paint thinner (mineral spirite) on a small area. If those don't work, try the corner of a razor blade and carefully scrap it off.

After you are done, either use the 3M stuff or another polish.

I speak from a bad experience on this one.

yep, had a second thought about laq thinner. thought about polishing compound but seemed too rough. heard of tooth paste being used. think ill use that stuff for headlights covers. tks guys.

Many times if it is a dry overspray, wiping it with varsol/paint thinner will get it off without damaging/softening the plastic. As mentioned above, methyl hydrate/alcohol can also be used.

grant

go to the hardware store and get u some oops that stuff works great on all surfaces im pretty sure its safe on all surfaces too. someone else will know more about this

MAN. went to O'rileys auto parts. bought mcguries PlastX, 7.99. rubbed it on the lens like wax, rubbed it a few min, used cotton cloth wipped off. BRAND NEW LENS! no sh--

it had over spray of paint you could not scratch off, and that foggy look from someone putting armor all on it over the years. it got real clear and slick. so took panel appart and did all the plastic lenses. it has enought to do you headlights on your other cars also. prob 8 oz squeeze bottle. I WILL recommend it. wondering how it would do on the washer bottle and other items????

Good to here, I have used the mcguries PlastX, and there 2 part polish before.
The two part does an even better job then the plastx, they come in a small white and blue bottles. One is a cleaner and the other is the scratch remover.

-
Back