Plastic welder

-

Mike69cuda

Mopar Moron
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these? One of the coolest tools I have bought in awhile. Works great for repairing cracked plastic

27B5C4B8-5263-4A98-AFD4-6CFF16DE95C5.jpeg

F7D11E5B-22C0-4C0A-ADB9-8C413AECB908.jpeg

Yup. Got a couple of the competitors versii

I'd like to get one of those. For stuff that doesn't matter, like a 5-gallon bucket with a cracked bottom, I just use my soldering iron and do the dime stack thing down the crack.

I got the cheap-o Harbor Freight one. I have used it to fix a refrigerator drawer, a Kawasaki side cover, and a handful of other small things. For the price, it's been a great tool.

I've looked at them but figured they were snake oil.

The key is using compatible plastic. There's, like 3000 kinds of plastics!!! (I learned this from my I-CAR classes.). If you don't, it's like mixing oil and water. In the case of my Kawasaki cover, I trimmed a little plastic of the inside cover and used it as a donor to weld the broken tab. Came out as a strong repair.

I used one so much on bike plastics I got to where I could if it was cracked just by holding it in my hands and feeling how it wiggled. My was just a heater with a tube and compressed air source. You had to fiddle with it because more air was more pressure to penetrate the plastic but with less temperature. I enjoyed using it.

The one I bought uses pieces of wire od different shapes that heat up and embed in plastic to fix cracks or bond two pieces together. The pieces of wire heat up like a solder iron tip. You clip off the remnants of wire that stick up out of the plastic when you are done.

It is really not a welder. It works really well.

-
Back