please help!! bad cylinder or valve guide?

-

dartkory

Reaction score
I have noticed that when I floor my car it puts out a very small amount of blue smoke which of course is that dreaded oil in the cylinders! I have never noticed any blue smoke when starting it or when just cruising around, its only when i floor it. The motor is only about a year old. It's a 318 with 360 heads that runs great. but I had changed the spark plugs today and noticed that on the very back plug on the passenger side there was a little oil on the threads of the old plug, then when I looked it the cylinder with a light it appeared to be a little damp. So I guess my question is do you guys think this is rings, or maybe a valve guide seal, and is there any easy way of finding out which one it may be? Its a 66 dart, and I just spent $900 on dougs headers for it, so im looking for the cheapest and easiest cure for it, although i know thats asking a bit much. Thanks for any help. Kory

my guess would be a guide. usually when you start it though after it sits and its a guide a puff of smoke might come out and if its rings after coasting and hitting the gas you get a puff.i would also check your pcv system make sure the valve is baffled properly.it might be sucking a small amount of oil.or maybe check the intake gasket isn't leaking.if it was a pcv i think it would effect all cylinders but a intake leak could only effect one. i would put some new umbrella seals on the suspected cylinder and hope for the best.i have also seen this kinda thing from engines that have alot of con rod side clearance and if its that its excessively oiling the cylinder and i would just not worry about it. i still say guides or guide seals

-
Back