please help with idea on suspension

-

73schwinger

Reaction score
I was told by some fellow members I should look into lowering the car removing some leaf spring clips?
I don't recall on what all was said I have a 73 swinger im trying to get set up for some hot rod/street rodding any suggestion? leave anything you want everything helps

Stock with good parts and a good alignment works fine.

that was me who said that - lowering it will aid in launching - effectively allowing quicker weight transfer to the rear... As I said before, removing the leaf spring clips will do also aid in launching the car - it reduces "wind-up" - I cannot remember if you are supposed to remove all the clips or just the front or just the rear.. I will try to find the article I read and get it posted here or linked or...

You can lower the car a little bit by rotating the torsion bar adjuster bolts counter clockwise. Too much, and it will mess up alignment. The rear, you can use lowering blocks. Again, don't go overboard, or it can mess up the pinion angle, causing vibration. Best to have the alignment checked after your modifications.

The front spring mounts are removable and can also be relocated. If you use one of the spring relocation kits many of them have different locations for the front bolt hole. You can correct the pinion angle with wedge blocks.

oh - install an adjustable pinion snubber too. I may need to re-state the spring clip thing - - stand by...

Stock is only adequate and the reason a lot of these old classics ended up wrapped around telephone poles if pushed at all..
..hot rodding or straight line racing?
If you intend to drive a little bit spirited i would upgrade most everything to some degree..torsion bars,rear springs,shocks,sway bar,tires and brakes.
..and lower is better
..actually upgrading everything makes a safer more enjoyable ride!

I drive spirited with stock 340 torsion bars, sway bar and manual drum brakes, manual steering, 450hp, 4 gear box without synchros, super stock rear springs-30 years-no problems. it is all up to the nut behind the wheel

-
Back