Please help, Yes or No??

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
There's been much talk about TTI Headers, the Powermaster Mini starter and regular Dakota Mini starters, Ups & Downs. However, I have read all the forums and still can't find a "positive answer". Some have stated a Powermaster from TTI is required with the headers, but is that only for a 66 and earlier a-bodies? How about 67 & later models? Has anyone installed a Dakota mini with TTI? When I ordered my headers from Classic Performance Canada, I asked this question and the salesman said he's hasn't heard of a problem with the use of standard mini starters. (Sounds like another unknown) :scratch: also from our forums I'm getting mostly mixed views. Therefore, if anyone knows for a fact and installed a "standard" mini with TTI on a 67 and later a-body, please let me know. I really can't afford to waste any money if the standard one will fit. :shaking2:
Thanks

I would like to know the thoughts on this too!!

sorry Jimmy boy :salute:

And witch one has the longest life for what aplacation! :scratch:

I like changing starters every 5 years. :thumbup:

I used the Dakota mini starter on my 72 Swinger and also using one on the 75 Duster I'm working on now.The starter works fine with the tti headers. I had to replace the mounting stud with a bolt on the top starter mounting point,and use metric nuts on the electrical connections. Also you will have to split the stock battery cable-starter relay wire with a razor knife as the connections are a little further apart on the mini starter.

Mike as far as longevity I have a 1990 Dakota with the original mini still cranking every day. I do miss the sound of the old style starters but they can't match the cranking power of the minis and the weight savings is another plus. The Swinger pics are in the forum's Garage area, but no starter pics.
Bob

signet the tti headers are designed to be able to work with the standard big old mopar clunker starter. the thing to remember here is getting to it later to work on it! that is why you should switch to the smaller starter so working on it later will be a breese. the best thing i can tell you is that the standard mopar performance mini starter works great. this is the same starter as all small block mopars use. dokaotas are often mentioned because of the ease of finding them used in yards. plus they had v8 in them as well. if i were you i would get the mini starter from ma mopar or a used one from a yard and let her ripp. the big starter that you probably have now , just box it up and put it away for later. hope this helps ya!

7demon2 said:
signet the tti headers are designed to be able to work with the standard big old mopar clunker starter. the thing to remember here is getting to it later to work on it! that is why you should switch to the smaller starter so working on it later will be a breese. the best thing i can tell you is that the standard mopar performance mini starter works great. this is the same starter as all small block mopars use. dokaotas are often mentioned because of the ease of finding them used in yards. plus they had v8 in them as well. if i were you i would get the mini starter from ma mopar or a used one from a yard and let her ripp. the big starter that you probably have now , just box it up and put it away for later. hope this helps ya!

Thanks 7demon2, I just bought a v6 ram mini starter last month for the same reason "smaller". But like I said, then I heard or read that an "TTI" mini starter is required for the use of TTI headers. I'm happy now that I don't have to order a "TTI" starter. Thanks :salute:
Here the one I bought!

starter.JPG

that is all you will need. tti is just trying to increase their take if they are pushing a starter that they sell. mini is the key here. you will be happy you went this route. alot more room around the pipes.

I just registered here afther looking around for a while. Looks like this place is just like the other forums I've been on. What I'm talking about is the way the people with the most posts just ignore the lesser members. I got to this thread and had to say something. 69signetv8 asked for advise and the gerty guy gave him a rundown on his experience with some good tips. 69signetv8 dissed gerty and fell all over himself thanking 7demon2 for his response.

OJ Duster !!! Some times our good tecs are very busy, at work,there kids,there wives and now that spring is coming in!!they spend more time on there cars.
I have been here a long time and you can not be farther from the truth.
We have a great bunch of folks here that do help out allot.
I try to keep out of some of the tec help. I do not want to miss guide someone.
Bad advice is worse than no advice!!. :wack:

OJ Duster said:
I just registered here afther looking around for a while. Looks like this place is just like the other forums I've been on. What I'm talking about is the way the people with the most posts just ignore the lesser members. I got to this thread and had to say something. 69signetv8 asked for advise and the gerty guy gave him a rundown on his experience with some good tips. 69signetv8 dissed gerty and fell all over himself thanking 7demon2 for his response.

So you signed up to a board you don't like just to say you don't like it?

What's the point of even taking the time to sign up if your just gonna ***** about us,if you don't like it here don't even sign up!

The only TTI headers that require a specail starter are the early A body headers.

AdamR said:
The only TTI headers that require a specail starter are the early A body headers.

I would comment on OJ Dusters remark but I have way to many posts for him. And with I name like OJ Im sure he'll claim hes innocent and didnt say those things, :toothy7:

OJ Duster said:

Just to let you know OJ..I just don't take "only" advice from members that have been around for a while. I usually PM members and thank them. Many times I have found that if I ask a question and it's answered one way or another...and I say thanks, some members may think I'm happy and that I no longer require any more information. If you were on here for a while and knew me....you would know I take advice from anyone becouse I know everone has different skills and ideas. I was thankful for Gerty's information, and suggestions he has offered me! I was also happy to get the answer I was looking for....Yes or No. So, as a new member...I answered you...I'll give you that much now! :lol:

Thank you EvillScamp,AdamR and 69signentv8!!!!
I could not have said it better!! :thumbup:

I hope I am where I belong :toothy7:

Funny but I don't feel DISSED. OJ settle down, everything is not a giant conspiricy. I've got around 100 posts in the years I've been a member. A low number compared to a lot of folks here because I tend to enjoy reading and learning from other's posts. When I was a new member I always felt welcome as I do now. Everyone here has always helped me with my problems and even helped me locate needed parts. sgbaracuda even sent me parts for free that I had looked eveywhere for!
Best site on the net period!
Bob

I will Watch and see if he doese!!! :naka:

Don't worry about it Jimmy, sometimes you can't thank everyone enough. Besides, you take advise from me and what the hell do i know.

Terry

Try this --(even though it's not required for this group of guys and gals)---- I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE SO NO ONE WILL BE OFFENDED IF I DON'T PERSONALLY REPLY TO YOU PERSONALLY. THIS SPECIAL THANKYOU IS GOOD FOR THE REMAINDER OF 2007.

Did that feel good Jimmy, well did it?

ive got a mini [ram] starter on my 72 scamp with a 360, headman headers, plenty of room couldnt be happier with it, evil, you hit that on the head with oj, looks like he needs to find HIS OWN SITE!!

demon seed said:
Don't worry about it Jimmy, sometimes you can't thank everyone enough. Besides, you take advise from me and what the hell do i know.

Terry

Try this --(even though it's not required for this group of guys and gals)---- I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE SO NO ONE WILL BE OFFENDED IF I DON'T PERSONALLY REPLY TO YOU PERSONALLY. THIS SPECIAL THANKYOU IS GOOD FOR THE REMAINDER OF 2007.

Did that feel good Jimmy, well did it?

That's really good, I should have that on my signiture :thumbup: Oh..by the way thanks guys!!!!!! :lol:

I use chrysler mini on my 360 4 speed with TTI's with no problems, 71 Demon

Jes, I almost forgot the original question of this thread. I'm using the MP high torque mini starter on the BB with no probelms.

Terry

wow, I don't have TTI's or a mini starter suggestion, and I know I don't have any problems whatsoever(anywhere in my life-it's perfect!LOL). I just thought I'd post to get up to 35 0r 36 so I can get more respect from the elders here. LOL.
Sure there are probably plenty of snobby sites out there, I visit this one the most and added it to MY Yahoo front page so I can see whats going on every day. This is a great group.
Sorry about the hijack...I didn't start it.
Ok, I'll be more serious next time...really.
Bye OJ!

3404speed said:
I just thought I'd post to get up to 35 0r 36 so I can get more respect from the elders here.LOL

You need to break 1000 post's to get my respect!
tongue0011.gif

-
Back